Perkins 6.354 Fresh water pump rebuild kits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JAT

Guru
Vessel Name
Just a Tinch
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44 MC
Does anyone know where I might be able to find rebuild kits for the fresh water/antifreeze water pumps for Perkins 6.354?* I have two engines and one is counter-rotating.* These are the pumps on the front of the engines that are belt driven, not the ones on the sides with nitrile impellors.

I've done some searches, but it seems that most of the hits I get are from companies overseas....

Thanks!

Start with your local NAPA, sometimes amazing things are OTS.

The Perkins diesels are used in some farm implements. I was able to buy parts for a 4-236 from: donsdiesel.com , there primary business is supplying parts to the ag industry.

Easy people to deal with. In order to get the correct part for a Perkins they will need your engine serial number.

Thanks everybody for your responses!! FF...I'll have to check with NAPA....I have been buying a lot of stuff from them lately!!* I'll be checking out the others as well!!

-- Edited by JAT on Friday 17th of June 2011 11:41:39 AM

The big problem you will have will be from the "contra-rotating" enigne. You probably will not find a kit for that one.* The basic parts are the same but you will need the impeller with the vanes in the correct direction.

With some luck the contra impeller will be good and you can re-use it when you rebuild.

Massey Furgeson used Perkins 6.354s so check out a dealer for the parts.*Should be cheaper than marine for sure.

If you can't find it close to you, try these guys and be sure and ask for Bill. *The other two air heads don't know anything about older Perkins Diesels. *If you can't give them a Sabre Range number, they don't know how to*look it up.

North Harbor Diesel - Anacortes, Wa.

*Toll Free*877.293.5551

logoPerkins.png

you can do a google search and find a rebuilder They can sell you the parts or actually do the job. *I believe most of these parts, (*bearings and seals) are generic** and you may find them at the bearing shop

-- Edited by motion30 on Tuesday 21st of June 2011 08:38:54 AM

charles, Thanks.... I think that is probably going to be the way I go.... I was speaking to someone at TAD....and it appears that it is better to buy the entire pump....

Hey JAT, what did you end up doing? My Starboard pump just started leaking. I had one of the alternators re-built a while back, and the guy told me the serial number matches up as an agricultural motor. I'm sure that the farmers get a better deal on pumps than "yachtsman"

Actually, I haven't done anything yet.... But I do know that a lot of 6.354's were used in "combines" for farm use...* The engine I am most concerned with is my "counter-rotating" engine...its impellor has the vanes pointing the opposite direction as a standard water pump.... I'll probably end up buying the whole pump.... Or having it rebuilt by a shop.* You might want to look into that.* Also you might check with these fellows.... http://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/searchbycategory.aspx?CategoryCode=1768 or TAD.

I found the best deal on the pump through TAD for around $210.
I replaced it over the weekend, took about 3 hours. The bearing was totally shot in the leaker, but does appear replaceable. The previous owner left sevearl boxes of parts on board including some bearings that look like they are replacements for this. I'll give it a shot and see how easy it is to do. I would be nice to have a working replacement on board. Both engines turn the same direction so all parts are swapable.

For anybody with a 700 series Perkins, there is a new fresh water pump*U5MW0175*listed on Ebay for $89 plus shipping right now. Retails for $400 on J & A Enterprises.

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Monday 22nd of August 2011 03:56:45 PM

You might also try these guys:

http://www.depcopump.com/

If the other sources don't pan out.

I've not dealt with them myself but they do have a good rep.* on Boatdiesel.

Don't forget your local auto parts store (not the chain store, the local store with knowledgable employees). My Lehman circulating pump has a 2 o'clock hose connection rather than the more common 5 o'clock connection. The 5 o'clock connection pump is readily available from farm implement dealers for about $100. I could find the 2 o'clock pump in England, New Zealand and American Diesel for about $250. I took the core pump to an auto parts store who had it rebuilt for $125.

I know this is an old thread but did anyone find a contra rotation fresh water pump? The shaft in mine broke when the bearing went. Need a complete impeller and shaft at least. 1972 perkins 6.354

I know this is an old thread but did anyone find a contra rotation fresh water pump? The shaft in mine broke when the bearing went. Need a complete impeller and shaft at least. 1972 perkins 6.354

Peninsula Pump and Equipment might be a possibility for you. It would at least be worth a call if you have not already.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

TAD may still be your best bet.

Caution: if your Perkins is a horizontal model (HT6.354), you must drill a new weep hole in the pump body at the lowest point as mounted on this engine. Otherwise weep water will collect and take out your new bearings sooner. Pumps, as they come, are only drilled for installation on vertical engines.

Thanks for the responses. I've checked with TAD, Foley, and several others. Took my pump to a machine shop. The impeller is good. Going to drill out the old shaft, machine a new shaft then press in the new shaft on the impeller. Sure would like to have a spare though. Appearantly the are as rare as hens teeth.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find rebuild kits for the fresh water/antifreeze water pumps for Perkins 6.354?* I have two engines and one is counter-rotating.* These are the pumps on the front of the engines that are belt driven, not the ones on the sides with nitrile impellors.

I've done some searches, but it seems that most of the hits I get are from companies overseas....

Thanks!

Any in Australia JAT? I'm looking for a new water pump for my 6.354 also

iPad Forum Runner

Any in Australia JAT? I'm looking for a new water pump for my 6.354 also

iPad Forum Runner

I have been looking for months for a spare contra rotation fresh water pump for may 1972 6.354. Shaft on mine broke, had to drill out old shaft and have one machined and pressed in. If the housing ever goes out will have to replace the whole engine I suppose.

I have been looking for months for a spare contra rotation fresh water pump for may 1972 6.354. Shaft on mine broke, had to drill out old shaft and have one machined and pressed in. If the housing ever goes out will have to replace the whole engine I suppose.

That's a bit of a bugger. I found a few on eBay and a few in gumtree last night. May be worth a look. If there are some in perth and you're not, I'm happy to go look at them for you and if they are good send it to you and you can just pay into my bank account (as long as you're in Australia that is)

iPad Forum Runner

I'm in the USA. I have no trouble getting the normal rotation pump. It is the one for the starboard reverse rotation engine. The pumps on e-bay have been normal rotation.

That might be a problem.....

BUT....contact Transatlantic Diesel at 800-927-9295, talk to them....they will rebuilt yours if it is rebuild-able.... Couldn't get a precise price....but even if its $200...it would be a good deal. I bought the pump for my other engine from Diesel Parts direct...today for $162.99 + about $14 in freight. Don't need it at the moment...but want a spare.

Perkins....in their infinite wisdom ceased production of the contra rotating fresh water pump....and the repair kit for it....so TAD is about all you have unless you can take it to someone locally that can do it.

Reading this thread has me really wondering. I have twin 6.354's. Obviously the props counter rotate. But I guess I don't know for sure about engine rotation. I really think they both turn the same way and counter rotation is accomplished in the tranny. Now I'm really curious, and will have to check the next time I get in the boat. It's shrunk wrapped for winter so that may be a while. Do some twin installations turn the same way? Now this may be crazy speculation on my part, but is it possible that the pump could work in both directions? I could see how that could work if the vanes are straight. You say say your shaft broke. Can it be welded by a certified welder? can your broken shaft be separated from the impeller? Perhaps a new shaft from a standard rotation pump could be fitted to your reverse rotation impeller. Could a new one be custom made? Perhaps a new impeller could be CNC machined? Given a budget almost anything can be made.

Reading this thread has me really wondering. I have twin 6.354's. Obviously the props counter rotate. But I guess I don't know for sure about engine rotation. I really think they both turn the same way and counter rotation is accomplished in the tranny. Now I'm really curious, and will have to check the next time I get in the boat. It's shrunk wrapped for winter so that may be a while. Do some twin installations turn the same way? Now this may be crazy speculation on my part, but is it possible that the pump could work in both directions? I could see how that could work if the vanes are straight. You say say your shaft broke. Can it be welded by a certified welder? can your broken shaft be separated from the impeller? Perhaps a new shaft from a standard rotation pump could be fitted to your reverse rotation impeller. Could a new one be custom made? Perhaps a new impeller could be CNC machined? Given a budget almost anything can be made.

I had a spare normal rotation pump. Had a machinist take the shaft out of the impeller and seals out of that one and press in the shaft into the reverse impeller and use the bearing and seals. Had to machine out the housing and press in a shim due to corrosion/rust so the bearing woud be secure. On mine the vanes were reversed. $240.00 US dollars. plus the loss of a good normal rotation pump. I have a friend that builds custom (automotive) hot rods and he sometimes uses an electric water pump on the engines. However I think a normal rotation pump could be made to work if a pulley with a gear attached mounted above a normal water pump with a gear meshing with the above gear would work since the gears would reverse the rotation of the pump.

Reading this thread has me really wondering. I have twin 6.354's. Obviously the props counter rotate. But I guess I don't know for sure about engine rotation. I really think they both turn the same way and counter rotation is accomplished in the tranny. Now I'm really curious, and will have to check the next time I get in the boat. It's shrunk wrapped for winter so that may be a while. Do some twin installations turn the same way?

Marshal boats (1st maker of Californians) stopped using counter rotating Perkins engines in the early 70's, when Borg Warner introduced the Velvet drive transmission, with models geared for left or right hand rotation. It was no longer necessary and simplified the manufacture and maintenance process.
Larry B,

You know....as much as I hate to think it.....I am going to have to do some more research....according to my Perkins Shop Manual....the "contra rotating engine" is supposed to have an "X" in it.....and according to the full serial numbers I have...including build numbers....there is an "X" missing. Sooooo... :banghead:

I'm wondering if my boat....a 79', with engines built in 77' has a transmission that reverses the shaft. :banghead:

Well, back in the bilge I go!!

The vanes on the impeller for the fresh water pump are curved... But from what I can tell...the shaft and bearings are the same. The outer casing is a little different and apparently not interchangeable.... I know the "rebuild kit" for the contra rotating engine was discontinued...but the kit for the normal rotation engine is still available...so you would likely get all the parts for the contra rotating pump...except the impeller. The exploded view of the water pump in my manual doesn't indicate any difference...but the parts list does....so I am led to believe its because of the impeller.

I am not an expert, so before you take my word for it....I would talk to someone who is....

Last edited:
You know....as much as I hate to think it.....I am going to have to do some more research....according to my Perkins Shop Manual....the "contra rotating engine" is supposed to have an "X" in it.....and according to the full serial numbers I have...including build numbers....there is an "X" missing. Sooooo... :banghead:

I'm wondering if my boat....a 79', with engines built in 77' has a transmission that reverses the shaft. :banghead:

Well, back in the bilge I go!!

The vanes on the impeller for the fresh water pump are curved... But from what I can tell...the shaft and bearings are the same. The outer casing is a little different and apparently not interchangeable.... I know the "rebuild kit" for the contra rotating engine was discontinued...but the kit for the normal rotation engine is still available...so you would likely get all the parts for the contra rotating pump...except the impeller. The exploded view of the water pump in my manual doesn't indicate any difference...but the parts list does....so I am led to believe its because of the impeller.

I am not an expert, so before you take my word for it....I would talk to someone who is....

Hopefully for you it is a normal rotation engine and you can get parts from NAPA for massey-ferguston. Caseing and impeller are the only things different on the contra. I'm pretty sure the went to normal rotation when the borg-warner velvet drives came out. I've been in the bilge so much lately that I may need to put in a third helm down there. :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom