JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by jann View Post
I had the following problems while away

1) I had a bad pilot starter relay ( burned out )on the yanmar. I now know how to jump start if it should happen again.
2) bad Control Relay ( mainship cheap mexican relay ) that sends power to the computer not alowing the engin to start. I love the mainship ship but they bought a lot of cheap support stuff.

anyway...I've had it with single engins!!
Were not both of the problem relays supplied by Yanmar? The one relay has been a problem with the 4JHT series Yanmar for over 15 years now. Ask Hunter Marine how many sailboats had the same problem.

Now if we want to discuss why Yanmar over something else that is a different issue. But there is nothing cheap about Yanmar's they cost a bundle. In the late model (2004-2009) 34t's the Yanmar was Standard and Cummins was a 20k option. The reason was that when Mainship was powering the 34t's Yanmar gave them a break. Not so much on price but they supplied the engines on consignment and Mainship didn't pay for an engine until the dealer paid for the boat from Mainship. Strictly a smart business decision.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote