Engine room extinguisher options.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Way to go guys… just when I thought I had a handle on my to do list… you bring this up… one more thing to look into on Shintullah:banghead:

DRY POWDER type units can be a huge "later" problem.

The dust is so fine it can find its way into sealed switches and CB , and most electronics and keep them from working.

Aircraft cockpits use CO2 to avoid a million dollar refit.

FF

A friend of mine who has had his DeFever 55 for over 20 yrs had a different problem with the onboard Halon system. The dual tank system was installed when he purchased the boat. An electrical short started a fire in the ER. The stbd tank reacted properly but the distribution system had perished with age and so was not effective against the fire. The second (portside) tank did not open but unfortunately was directly mounted above the fire. The heat exploded the tank. It created a two ft. diameter hole in salon floor and completely destroyed the galley area. He managed to put out the fire with his saltwater deck wash. Walters repairs to the ER and everthing else is an amazing story for another time - especially for a 76 yr. old singlehander.

He has NOT reinstalled any automatic fire suspression system that involves hi-pressure tankage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom