Torque peak vs. HP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lotusman1951

When repowering last winter with an eye towards longevity and economy-I avoided Deeres warrenty insistance of proping to 2500rpm at WOT.

The 4045 non-turbo power curve in either Deere of Lugger reveals a peak in the torque curve in the 1200-1400 range of about 220 foot pounds-deminishing as revs increase to about 170 at 2200-2500 rpm.

The HP at 12-1400rpm is 50ish-and 80 at WOT, fuel consumption moves from -1gph to +4gph.

Disreguarding Deeres insistance, maintaining an operating temperture of 180 and oil pressure of 45+--I for one belive that it is torque-not HP that pushes a displacement craft and that prop sizing and transmission ratio balance so that you can operate your vessel in s/l range of 1.1-1.2 works best.

Most "trawlers" in my opinion have way to much HP and*way to small props-Either you tune the boat to the engine or tune the engine to the boat.

Find your torque peak-operate your vessel there by manipulating your running gear-be happy

1250 pounds of modded (ex race car) lotus 7 with DSK frame-propelled by a Cosworth YBM 240HP/8500rpm-120 knots plus--the cure for slow boats.

Is that the one with adjustable pedals instead of adjustable seats?

LOL... chances are, if it's an ex-race car, it has none of the above.

-- Edited by KMA at 14:33, 2008-10-07

Hey I love thing that move--I usually carry a c70/stepthru honda aboard to do runs around bahama islands-tommrow a Derbi 50cc super motard may take its place--the lotus with its alloy skin and tube frame could fit on the front deck--but its not Ok with salt water-only fiberglass things burn to the waterline-thats why I have a steel boat-get smart or get wet..

Boats and lotus cars have 1 thing in common-time and money. Nice to see other like minds out there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom