Shiny Shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captrigney

Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
I just noticed on a friends boat that's on the hard that there is an inch or inch and a half of shiny shaft astern the cutlass bearing. Failed or loose motor mounts? Any other ideas. I don't have access to go aboard to look, but I'd like to offer some ideas when I give her the news.

Could be the shafts have been moved back from the transmissions for servicing, or they had shaft zincs there that were removed after hauling and will be replaced before the boat is launched again.

Removing rope cutters behind the cutlass bearing if it is immediately in front of the prop will leave a shiny surface. Spurs are notorious for needing to be repaired/replaced over time. Great devices though.

Some types of marine trannys will move the shaft fore and aft as they shift.

I thought the “rule of thumb” was to leave a gap of about ½ the shaft diameter for water flow

Thanks for the replies. However, there are no rope cutters, no zincs missing, and the other shaft shows no shine so I don't think it is normal for this installation. The wear is behind both struts on this shaft, so it really appears that when the gear is engaged, the shaft is moving forward an more than what I would think is normal. I'll post a photo next week.

Could be Charlie's explanation. I'll find out.

Thanks again.

Did the yard replace the cutlass bearings prior to your visual? I usually shine the shaft during replacement IOT minimize any potential damage to the new bearing.

Did the yard replace the cutlass bearings prior to your visual? I usually shine the shaft during replacement IOT minimize any potential damage to the new bearing.

Nope. The only polished area is inch or so just behind the bearings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom