Thread: Sarca Excel
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I know I know your anchor has a roll bar to force it to assume the position where-as most anchors don't need such assistance. The Danforth has a stock that (like a roll bar) is not part of the anchor that holds the boat but so is the shank that holds the flukes in the correct position for both setting and holding.
The Claws land on one side or the other and then then set very quickly. They have a well earned reputation for fast setting so they may in fact be superior to roll bar anchors in this regard. And the Claw dosn't need a roll bar to get the job done. As I see it basically their only flaw is holding power and according to the anchor tests I read yesterday they aren't that far behind most anchors ... at least the other ones on the test. And if one gets a Claw 1.5 times bigger almost all of that problem disappears and w one twice as big it would seem they'd be a match for anything else. So if I had your boat I'd do as I said in the last post. Either of the SARCA anchors and a horde of others would be fine too.

You say the Claw is just another drop drag and hope anchor. Such dramatics. You feel about Claws as Israel feels about Palestine.

And I never even hinted that you should get a Claw Marin. I still think the SARCA is the best all around anchor but I've got so many good anchors I'm actually grown weary of buying them. I'd snatch up a 40 to 45# Dreadnought if I could find one though.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote