Emergency Tiller / CHB 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meg68

Vessel Name
PATPANIK
Vessel Make
CHB 36
Hi,

I just get a CHB 36 ( :) ) and cannot find the emergency tiller.... does anyone know where I can get one ?

Thnaks,
Greg

I'm going to ask a dumb question.....did you look under the bed? I was with our surveryor when he pulled the emergency tiller out from under the bed, it was tucked infront of the water tanks behind the pull out storage compartment there. Or maybe it was in that pullout compartment.....it was in that general area.... :)

Oups... of course no, I did not look under the bed !!! I will do, and repost if it cannot be found.

Thanks,
Greg

The emergency tiller for a GB is a big heavy teak and bronze thing so is kept in the lazarette. If the lazarette in your boat has a false bottom above the steering gear to store stuff on you might check underneath it.

I'm not sure which model CHB you have but in the aft cabin model they are usually found under the aft companionway stairs. The bottom step lifts up and they usually lurk somewhere in that long space. It is in two pieces. Here is a particularly handsome example:
img_112560_0_81206483bd87fd5b549d56c1d2bbb0bd.jpg

Any first hand stories out there on real world use?

Any first hand stories out there on real world use?

HAHA, yeah, has anyone ever had to use one? Mine is beautiful teak with a cover. No it has never been used.

Thank you for the answers. I will go next week-end to search deeper. I hope I will never have to use it - of course -, but my insurance company ask me about that !!!

Greg

The Coot didn't come with an emergency tiller. Ugh.

img_112633_0_56a89ad299d2b212d4931576d4678a58.jpg

Fifty years ago the tiller on my Dad's 28.5-foot sloop broke off during a SF Bay race. We used a nine-inch crescent wrench to steer home. The bronze fitting connecting the tiller to the rudder post had failed. It was replaced with a quarter-inch-thick stainless-steel fitting.

Last edited:
Gregg, remiss of us not to welcome you to the forum, so Bienvenue a' bord.

Never used mine by the way. Not really sure how it could work with our boat configuration.

... and sorry for my english... french people always have problem with foreign languages... I will do my best !

The Coot didn't come with an emergency tiller. Ugh.

A good winter project for you then:)
A 4" bronze or plastic watertight access cover
+ a fabricated tiller handle
Easy as you have a square end on the rudder

Or you could just put grease tape around those hydraulic fitting ends now ,before there is any sign of corrosion and don't worry about it

they are sorta a PIA...but if and when you need one...a pre-made setup will be a big stress relief in a moment of crisis!

We have fitted our to the starboard rudder bar to see what the sight picture would be if we had to use it but we have not used it underway. It's not a good idea to back-drive a chain and cable steering system so we didn't want to test the emergency tiller underway.

Our boat is a twin and the tiller fits over the starboard rudder post. The makes it easy for the steerer to see forward past the cabin on the starboard side. So I can see how it would work quite well on our boat. It could be very difficult to use on a single with the tiller centered through the aft deck.

I'm going to ask a dumb question.....did you look under the bed? I was with our surveryor when he pulled the emergency tiller out from under the bed, it was tucked infront of the water tanks behind the pull out storage compartment there. Or maybe it was in that pullout compartment.....it was in that general area.... :)

We found ours under the bed as well. Along with a bunch of other stuff!

I had a new one fabricated and modified the rudder stem and connections as the original one was a waste of time. Have not used it, but I also carry Emergency tape, copper fittings, copper tubing and 5 extra quarts of fluid just in case. If the emergency rudder was used it would be tied down so the rudder straight and use the bow thruster to steer with. Emergency tape is great stuff as I have used on a engine high pressure, 40 psi, oil leak as the tape sticks to itself even if wet/oily. If the helm went out then we would use the auto pilot pump. Only as a very last resort would I attempt to use the emergency rudder.

Last edited:
When this came up once before I couldn't think of a situation in which I would need an emergency tiller (twins), but someone brought up I may need it to bring the rudders to neutral and then to hold them there should I need to back up. I've since gotten mine to a place where I could use it if I had to. :)

If we needed to use ours if would be a huge pain in the ass. One person would have to be in the stateroom taking verbal instruction from a helmsperson. This would be a good time for us to call on Towboat! :eek:

Hi,

I was this morning on the boat, and I have search everywhere (under the bed, in the lazarette,...) => No emergency tiller :( !!!
I will add this to my (already very long) christmas list..... or may be I will try to build one by myself !

Back
Top Bottom