View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin wrote;

"A GB can be quite a handful in a following sea, particularly in the steep-sided, rapidly moving, close-interval wind waves we get in the PNW. A rounded stern boat or a double ender would be a much better choice if down-sea running was going to be a significant part of one's boating."

My Willy is a handful in big following seas so I sorta cringe thinking how it must be for the average trawler w it's wide flat bottom and very small rudders. Coos Bay to San Francisco Bay has some very open and frequently very rough waters. To use these waters as a highway to go back and forth in a small boat seems somewhere between nuts and a nervy thing to do but to do it in a boat that's probably good at broaching isn't smart. Most trawlers are for protected waters in good to fine weather and where the OP wants to go it it's not like that much of the time. Waves the size of two story houses including their roofs are common so even w a good boat like a Krogen or a Willard 40 traversing these waters will be very demanding, dangerous and extremely uncomfortable. Even Mark's Coot is far better for ocean travel than the average trawler. So what I'm say'in is that this is no place for flat bottomed wide and square cornered yachts. To stick one's nose out of Coos Bay for a bit of fish'in and back in is one thing but to set out for a long run down the coast in the ocean on a regular basis is for passagemakers .... both boat and crew. I won't say it can't be done of course but it's a very bad idea even w a good boat.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote