View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #18
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
And before I went offshore I'd be looking for a boat that is good at handling following seas. I think that ability is questionable in at least most of the boats mentioned so far. All about the same as the GB though ... or worse. However the lobsterboat w a big enough rudder may indeed do the trick but many lack volume fwd and that's an asset in following seas.
Point: BTW. Eric... Following sea will catch craft that cannot move fast enough to reach and maintain speed needed to stay on the "back" of the forward wave or waves. For full displacement hulls that cannot stay atop the forward wave's "back" then the double ender design is required as added safety from broaching while the FD looses hold onto the forward wave's "back" and the following waves time-after-time-after-time overtake the FD hull. An amply powered, well designed planing hull has ample speed to stay "aboard" the forward wave's "back" and seldom (if at all – if piloted correctly) experience the following sea’s waves pushing against its transom and jeopardizing it for possibility of broaching. I've experienced aggressive following seas in both style hulls while piloting. IMHO... FD’s required too much effort while the waves overtake it and push it around. Give me a well powered and well designed planing hull over full displacement hull any time in a following sea. It becomes nearly effortless to “ride” the forward wave’s “back”, rather than have the following waves continually ride the boat’s (my) back!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote