Anyone have EGT on Perkins 6.354?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamespaulca

Have twin 6.354 turbo 185HP in a Californian 42LRC. Engines work fine. I would like to add an EGT either before turbo or after. Would feel more comfortable monitoring exhaust temperatures while underway. I have installed high temp alarms on exhaust piping after the water injection. It warns you of loss of exhaust cooling water and fire potential. Anyone have EGT on their Perkins? Any advice, photos, tips? Appreciate it. Jimmy

A raw water flow detector between your strainer basket and raw water pump will give you even earlier warning of impending trouble for about $100.00 each. Mine are Aqualarm and go off the instant water stops flowing.

Aqualarm water flow (or equal) on each engine will tell you instantly if you have lost your raw water flow and save your exhaust hose, engine, and maybe your boat. They are better installed near the discharge into exhaust as there they will warn against blown off engine hoses as well.
Aqualarms will not tell you how hard you are running your engines like EGT however. If that is your interest, you need both. Usually the EGT has no audible alarm, and if it did, your exhaust system (wet) would be toast b/4 it went off anyway. All IMHO.

Aqualarm water flow (or equal) on each engine will tell you instantly if you have lost your raw water flow and save your exhaust hose, engine, and maybe your boat. They are better installed near the discharge into exhaust as there they will warn against blown off engine hoses as well.
Aqualarms will not tell you how hard you are running your engines like EGT however. If that is your interest, you need both. Usually the EGT has no audible alarm, and if it did, your exhaust system (wet) would be toast b/4 it went off anyway. All IMHO.

The Aqualarm will trigger the instant water stops flowing through them regardless of where they are in the system. I prefer before the raw water pump because down stream you get a few secinds earlier notice, there is usually more room for install and I don't want a plastic part near my exhaust elbow.

"The Aqualarm will trigger the instant water stops flowing through them regardless of where they are in the system."

True but a hose failing or blowing off on the engine after the sensor, will not trigger it and will continue pumping into the engineroom while the engine / exhaust burns up. The "plastic" housings are made of CPVC which will take 240 continuous.

Either way a great idea.

Just looks like another point-of-failure to me :)

To each his own I guess but I would not be without it. One of mine is 6yo and the other 15yo, never a problem on either boat.

My 225 HP Perkins Sabres have EGT thermo couples on the exhaust elbows about 4'' before the shower head. They seen to work fine with temps 450 to 500 F at normal cruise RPM (7.8 knots) of 1750. At 2000 RPM (9 knots) they rise about 100 degrees. Obviously the engines are not working very hard. Top speed is 10.8 knots at 2500 RPM, but I've not run at this speed long enough to get stable EGT readings.

The EGTs are the dullest instruments on the vessel, with no apparent danger of climbing into dangerous territory of +750 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom