The Old Fishboat Conversion Invader No 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OFB

Guru
Vessel Name
Invader no1
Vessel Make
Kishi Boat works
The oldtime guys on Trawler forum have already seen the pics etc. But with the new forum there are probably some lurkers that now get a chance to shake there head.:D

Purchased on Vancouver Island from the original owner. A left over from the goverment buy out.

Built by the Kishi Brothers Steveston BC . Launched in 1966.

Shelf plank construction a technique brought to Canada by the family from Japan in the early 1900's. I am not aware of any other builders using this technique in North America.

Live well, combo or cod boat. Used for gillnet , cod fishery , and long line, along the coast and coatsal rivers of BC. From the Fraser River through to the Skeena and along the coast including the west side of Vancouver island and around the Queen Charlote Island.

We purchased the boat in Janurary of 2001 after 4 to 5 years of looking for something to convert. She was still active fishing when we picked her up with the original owner transfering his fishing licence to his new boat. There where some tears when we headed out to bring her to Vancouver.

The Admiral and I live a little out of the norm you might say.

37 feet buy 11 feet or so, draws close to 4 feet unloaded the way she is today. Powered by a 453 DD dry stack keel cooled simple system. Pickled steel saddle tanks. In the 25,000 lb range .

There have been some moments for sure. For what ever reason we both love the boat, she is our home, she is a ton of fun and has always brought us back to home port safe and sound.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 238
  • invader_0003.jpg
    invader_0003.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 252
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 277
Sweet. From one fish boat guy to another. Nice job.

Yours is wood mine is glass 32' & 9/10" X 11" & 9/10" 1974.
She was a power troller built for the PNW salmon fishery.
10,000 lb fish hold. full of every kind of spare and what ever else I need a place for. (Kind of nice to have a storage place.)

I have no idea why it was measured in tenths but that is what the abstract of title says.

SD

Last edited:
And more pics of the oldboat. Cheap and effective fun.:rofl:

Attachments

• invader_0006.jpg
    invader_0006.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 231
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 249
  • dockside invader.jpg
    dockside invader.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 2010 jan 002.jpg
    2010 jan 002.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 227
  • cruisin 09 038.jpg
    cruisin 09 038.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 2008 marina winter 008.jpg
    2008 marina winter 008.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMGP2458.jpg
    IMGP2458.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 218
SD

Sure gives us a unique skill set dont it :thumb:

or:banghead:

:thumb: I like it!

Counting all the pics on the 16th picture down it looks like a for sale sign in the port window of the cabin. Could it be?

Counting all the pics on the 16th picture down it looks like a for sale sign in the port window of the cabin. Could it be?

Eric

Nope not for sale thats a Beware Of Dog sign.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 208
My boat has a perpetual for sale sign in the front window.
'-
The old For Sale sign seemed to have burnt into the glass so when ever the window is foggy it says For Sale.

She ain't.
Well maybe for the right amount and to the right person.

SD

That boat is a work of art. Great proportions and detail.

[Separate issue regarding the handsome hound, I learned during dog obedience training a chain collar left on all the time can be a choke hazard, a dog died when the chain caught on something (corner of a chair I think) choking the dog. Not a criticism, I hope it helps.]

We purchased the boat in Janurary of 2001 after 4 to 5 years of looking for something to convert. She was still active fishing when we picked her up with the original owner transfering his fishing licence to his new boat. There where some tears when we headed out to bring her to Vancouver.

If you have the time and enjoy the outside maintenance, old wooden boats will out last most of us
Detroit parts are cheap and the design (keel cooled,dry stack) are the most durable
A bit tippy for my tastes (most have poles on them to use paravanes when traveling)

In the second pic ,I don't see the tears,Huey looks happy:)

Anyway Huey's replacement boat,a fiberglass lower maintenance double eagle took him through another 10 years of commercial fishing
He retired from commercial fishing two years ago now, but he did not retire from boats
His current boat is a 34 foot CHB aft cabin

Stray Cat

OMG I have always been afraid to contact Hue the old owner and show him what we have done to the old fish boat. :hide:

I believe the tears came from the misses as she hated the boat but loved that it always got em home.

Ya hue was happy :dance:

Long time ago now so it seems. After almost 12 years there have been zero surprises. Honest square deal. Hope he felt same.

Stray cat thanks for that post :thumb:That update.

That boat is a work of art. Great proportions and detail.

[Separate issue regarding the handsome hound, I learned during dog obedience training a chain collar left on all the time can be a choke hazard, a dog died when the chain caught on something (corner of a chair I think) choking the dog. Not a criticism, I hope it helps.]

What are we calling this now? Topic creep or something like that.

Any way agree on the collar. Rare for us to have any collar on the pup when she is on the boat or around the docks unless we are holding the leash. Not sure why she is sporting it in the pic but our bad ! We almost lost our other pup when she hung herself between the dock and boat.

Thanks for the creep !

New thread on TC.

Didn't know you had a 4-53. I know they are noisy. I'd like you're opinion on how noisy and how the noise has been over the years. I'll bet it has a lot to do w how hard you run the old girls ... the boat and the engine.

I was one of the first tenants at Captain's Cove Marina in Ladner ... in about 1971. I knew about the boat builders at Steveston. Everyone had great respect for them.

Eric

That 4-53 screemer . Idle you do not hear the power dockside. Power to about 1100 rpm still no biggie. I cruise from 1500 rpm ( still ok for noise level inside ) to about 1700 rpm ( startin to sing ) and just under 7 knots. 1800 rpm I want ear plugs and every 50 rpm above that I want ear muffs. Yet on deck or in the back cabin she is very quiet through all power settings. I am still adjusting insulation to reduce the screem. But as I change the layout its an ongoing battle. To communicate over the VHF for a bridge opening etc I reduce rpm to 1100 or 1300 rpm just so I dont miss anything. The bridge tenders can be a bit short and I use the radio instead of the cell just in case other vessels might want or need to get involved in an opening request. Is what it is.

So yes the harder you push the more she screems. Just the power the boat dont seem to care no vibration etc.

Some pics of the ground tackle on the oldboat.

Attachments

• spring 2012 158.jpg
    spring 2012 158.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 209
  • spring 2012 159.jpg
    spring 2012 159.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 225
Haul out 2014 .

15 years down the road on the old fishboat. Survey no 4 with the last three for insurance. One of the only boats I know of where I owe the old girl, she owes me nothing. Just sayin. Mind you like most old girls she looks better after a few beers but man ya just have to love a though girl with attitude, that's oh so honest with all that goes on.

Is what it is , effective, with a little work, and TLC at 15 years.

Attachments

• Haul out 2014 November 058.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 058.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Haul out 2014 November 131.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 131.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Haul out 2014 November 141.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 141.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Haul out 2014 November 138.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 138.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Haul out 2014 November 156.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 156.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Haul out 2014 November 164.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 164.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 134
Old Fish Boat Guy: The girl still looks striking. Never saw a woodie I liked better. I had completely forgotten about the paravane system. Long-gone I guess.

Haul out 2014 pictures continued

So seven days on the hard, in the rain, the wind, the cold. Not the best time but the only time I had to get the week for the work. All done by my better half and I. Yet I do love the "work". Any way just sharing a few pics of the 5 year project that's going on 15 years. Ya just have to laugh ! Invader no 1 lives on, with a clean bill of health after 15 years. She is doing better than I for sure :D

Attachments

• Haul out 2014 November 230.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 230.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Haul out 2014 November 235.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 235.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Haul out 2014 November 239.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 239.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Haul out 2014 November 242.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 242.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Haul out 2014 November 252.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 252.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Haul out 2014 November 253.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 253.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 136
Hey.....I don't remember a swim platform.....is that new? Does she have a transom door?

Tony B

Shelf plank construction is a technique the Kishi Boat Works brought to Canada back in the early 1900's. The wood boat is built in a frame, a mold kinda. The planks are bent and pounded onto the frame as the boat sits on its keel. They lay in the "planks" nail them into the "mold". Then they lay in the next plank and saw between the next plank for a perfect match of the joint. They then clamp the top plank to the bottom plank and nail through that plank to the mold the frame. A lot like a puzzle in how the planks are fitted. After all the planks are fitted they pound in the bent frames, the stringers, the water tight bulk heads to separate the compartments. Then add in the stringers etc. Kinda a quick description.

The Kishi Family built in there words a " Tight Boat" they never re fastened, or re-caulked any of there boats. There is just no caulk "kinda". Fastened for strength from the inside. Built like a puzzle "kinda".

I am making this out to be better that in it is but in all reality Invader is not built in any way shape or form like a conventional North American build. She is wood and will rot but man she is stiff , and no want for a conventional fastening, re caulk. Not even close!

Keep her dry from above, the rain, and I bet she will live long after I.

Attachments

• Haul out 2014 November 154.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 154.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Haul out 2014 November 245.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 245.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 103
Tony ( Healhustler)

The Rig ended up going for scrap , I just ran out of time so cut it apart and cot my 350.00 bucks. Ya cryin yet cause I did with every cut on that rig. Is what it is gotta move on.

The swim platform is project no 5 no wait project no 75, no wait project no 250. When I built the aft cabin back in 2001? the side of the hold top looked perfecttttt for use as a short term swim platform. Using the parts that came off the boat while doing the aft cabin. So a couple of hinges from the hold hatch , a quick cut down a side and wa la the platform is born. Now 15 years later it really is time to "move"on.

Just funny stuff IMO

Attachments

• Haul out 2014 November 246.jpg
    Haul out 2014 November 246.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 103
Still one of my favorites on this site! Good work

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The builders the Kishi Brothers just knew how to build a boat, a trade passed down through generations of boat building. They be often asked why they never expanded and hired folk to help to increase production. They always said they where builders not teachers or managers. You lined up to have one built. What a different time!

I hope , invader no 1 lives a long cared for life. She holds no value in todays world of cash is king yet has always , always , provided comfort, safety, warmth, security, a dry home and FREEDOM !

Back
Top Bottom