Pay Back Time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As so often happens on this forum, the discussion has gone fro the original "what to do when someone passes you throwing a big wake" to the use of VHF radios, to the propagation characteristics of antennas in the mountains and now to the DSC feature on marine radios.

The original topic was answered as best it could be several pages ago.

In mid 1999, the FCC required radio manufacturers to include DSC capability in all new models. This applies to fixed mount radios only, not handheld.

Larry B: Here's a link to a recent bulletin from the USCG on DSC.

Digital Selective Calling

---------------------------------------------
Larry M
Good article, Dated May 2012 - Sounds like the Coast Guard is putting DSC in all their rescue centers. I haven't bought a new Marine VHF since about 1985, so out of the loop on DSC. Maybe it's time to upgrade my radio's, But good to know regardless.

Thanks
Larry B

As so often happens on this forum, the discussion has gone fro the original "what to do when someone passes you throwing a big wake" to the use of VHF radios, to the propagation characteristics of antennas in the mountains and now to the DSC feature on marine radios.

The original topic was answered as best it could be several pages ago.[/QUOTE]

And, so you imply... that no intelligent morphing in relation to topic on first post should develop from the initial intelligent topic/thought train/pattern... onto/into another/others?? I respectfully disagree... in that I have been following this thread carefully and appreciate much of the added (morphed) info beyond initial thought pattern. IMHO - Shows we're all still thinking! :thumb:

It wouldn't be trawler forum without topic creep. :)

While we could be more clever in starting new threads such as by carrying over a quote from another thread when that thread starts to drift, I agree with Art. We could end up with two parallel threads.

Last edited:
"Topic creep." That's a great name for the phenomenon. If it's not already an official internet term it should be.

---------------------------------------------
Larry M
Good article, Dated May 2012 - Sounds like the Coast Guard is putting DSC in all their rescue centers. I haven't bought a new Marine VHF since about 1985, so out of the loop on DSC. Maybe it's time to upgrade my radio's, But good to know regardless.

Thanks
Larry B

Cape May, NJ area was one of the first to get it..it has some bugs but pretty good so far. I think many other but not all USCG sectors have it.

Sea Tow has it in their remodeled Marine operator radio system..the USCG often double checks with the Sea Tow system when their equipment didn't get what they needed.

I'm guessing that is why a few of the older thoughts on VHF are no longer completely accurate such as line of sight limitations.

You've never seen the "Digital" marine antennas? ;)

I had to ask... although it was a loaded question. :rolleyes:

I'm a FCC licensed radio tech, but haven't dabbled in two way for several years. I spend my RF time on digital microwave. The FCC license dates me. New techs see the copy of my original on the wall of my office from 1982 and realize that they were not alive when I got it.

Last edited:
rwidman said:
The original topic was answered as best it could be several pages ago.

The funny part is that the new topic is better than the original topic.

You've never seen the "Digital" marine antennas? ;)

Have heard the name, but I have no personal experience using one of Digital's products.

LB

Yep, I think Egregyious gave a pretty
I have had others look at me, and I actually motioned for them to slow. They didn't. I try to give a courteous pass, but if it doesn't work, I will not cruise a 25 knot boat at 7 knots because they don't cooperate in a good pass.

As I tell Lou, we give a courteous pass if for no other reason the one you pass may be your slip mate that night.

so u run over them then? if your in a narrow channel u should be patient, slow down and wait till the vessels moves to the side to let u pass. rememer maritime law says u r responsible for your wake.

so u run over them then? if your in a narrow channel u should be patient, slow down and wait till the vessels moves to the side to let u pass. rememer maritime law says u r responsible for your wake.

Thanks. Like I didn't know that.

No but courtesy goes both ways...
I don't slow down because...I'm slow to begin with, have my boat prepared for rocking and rolling, have enough situational awareness to tell my passengers for their safety and I don't cry like a baby when the wake hits me. :D

Why do people us u for you and r for are? is it really that hard to type in english?

Pet peeve.

Sd

Why do people us u for you and r for are? is it really that hard to type in english?

Pet peeve.

Sd

Guess it depends if you text on an old type phone or one with the expanded keyboard...I can tell you are the type of man who should have REAL pet peeves...not this as you read through these forums and see REAL pet peeves....:D

Last edited:
Wow it happened that quick!!!!! :thumb::D:dance::thumb:

Guess it depends if you text on an old type phone or one with the expanded keyboard...I can tell you are the type of man who should have REAL pet peeves...not this as you read through these forums and see REAL pet peeves....:D
I can understand/sympathise with that to a degree. Interestingly, it is the second post in a few days to sheet responsibility to a keyboard itself, as distinct from the fingers manipulating the keys.

Exactly how much more difficult is it to type the word "you" than "u" ? :rolleyes:

I just have to wonder if you put any effort into thinking about your post if you're unwilling to put some effort into posting it.

Pet peeve.

Sd

Pet peeve? No

It is actually a violation of our community rules to do so. The link can be found at the bottom of any page http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules
under the subject line of posting standards...

Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is not permitted. Posts with violations may be edited or deleted without notification.

Pet peeve? No

It is actually a violation of our community rules to do so. The link can be found at the bottom of any page http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules
under the subject line of posting standards...

Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is not permitted. Posts with violations may be edited or deleted without notification.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

In theory, at least, we are all (we hope) educated adults here. We should communicate as such.

th

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

In theory, at least, we are all (we hope) educated adults here. We should communicate as such.

Rollins College '66. Just had to put in a plug for my Alma mater rated #! in the South.

Rollins College Home If you open the home page, please click on the video link to see the campus and hear about the school. You may know someone interested in attending. Great for liberal arts, theater, business and international studies.

AND the 'Pay Back Time' awards are

post No. Award Nomination

16/ Attempted topic creep award
53/ 'I've had enough of this' award
66/ The '?' award
67/ The 'Apply when hot and prickly' award
69/ 'It's them, not us' award
77/ The 'Take this' award
81/ The 'Civil War revisited'award
85/ The John Wayne 'I'm not going to hit you pilgrim'(like i hell I'm not) award

86/ The 'English as a foreign language' award
89/ The 'Boy Scout' award
90/ The 'Golly Gosh' award
97/ The 'Of course we believe you' award
110/ The 'Thread Creep' award
130/ The 'couldn't help my self' award
153/ The 'Attempted reverse creep' award
165/ The'Self inflicted pet peeve 'award
171/ The 'Man with the big(grammatical) stick' award
174/ A joint award. The Rhett Butler 'old time religion award,&
'Jump the Shark' award for terminal thread creep.

Sorry all, I am a little bored today. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
AND the 'Pay Back Time' awards are: ........

Sorry all, I am a little bored today. :rolleyes:
I`d blame the Sydney weather: spring approaching summer but 19C, drizzle, overcast,100% yuk.
Just the day to review,and for the Moderator to euthanase, a thread desperate to be put out of its misery.

Andy is keeping himself busy. :blush:

Pet peeve.

Sd

Because rting on the tny keys of a BBerry or any other c phone is pain in the ass so the fewer letrs u have to pick out the betr things r.

Jennifer made a mark to be sure but TC is only a problem if you want to find something that was said 5 minutes ago or 5 days ago. The thread topic names, unless they are very short

SEE NEW THREAD TOPIC CREEP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom