Fender Selection Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And it works great on groundpower cords too. What's nice is that it doesn't leave the cord or fender surface sticky, which of course just attracts more dirt.

"Brush Cleaner" also works wonders on fenders, shore power cords etc. Available at hardware stores everywhere. It will take a long paint hardened brush and make it new after a short soak.

I read about gojo here, then saw it at the store for about three bucks for a large container. All I can say is wow. We were ready to replace our crappy looking fenders and after cleaning them with gojo last night, they look just fine. Not brand new by any means, they're still old fenders. But now they're clean old fenders. Thanks for saving me a bunch of money on new fenders. My husband did the cleaning and said it didn't take much elbow grease. :)

My fenders were black, but after using Gojo they were still black.:confused:Then I realized that they are black fenders. All is well again.:)

But there is a testimonial here. I am an old man, but after using Gojo I'm a clean old man.:D

My fenders were black, but after using Gojo they were still black.:confused:Then I realized that they are black fenders. All is well again.:)

But there is a testimonial here. I am an old man, but after using Gojo I'm a clean old man.:D

snort :rofl:. ours were black and now they are slightly orange tinted white. and they smell fresh.

Ultimate fender cleaner: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent) and acetone...
Acetone may be the ultimate cleaner but in my experience it is the ultimate way to hasten the demise of the fender exterior so that it gets dirty again before you are finished cleaning the next one...:eek:

Miss Rachel said:
Ultimate fender cleaner: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or generic equivalent) and acetone...

Have you tried the go jo? I love the magic erasers but find they require a lot of elbow grease. I don't generally use acetone except in desperation as it can break down whatever you are using it on (it's fairly harsh stuff). We were very surprised how well and easily the go Jo worked, and it was very inexpensive.

The admiral put out an order to get fender covers a while back. It seems that the fenders squeeking against the hull at nite keeps her awake. Covers stop the squeek.

+1. The squeaking was driving me nuts until I fitted covers

Acetone is great for getting black scuff marks from shoes or dock edging off gelcoat. Why? because it disolves the substance. Even though many people recommend it for cleaning fenders, shore power cords, and the like, you are damaging the surface you are trying to clean. It's fine on gelcoat, metal, etc., but not on rubber or plastic.

Prior to reading Keith's original recommendation of GoJo to clean fenders and groundpower cords we tried acetone. Fortunately not on a very big area. Everything Ron, psneeld, and others have saiid is true. Plus----- because the acetone breaks down the surface of groundpower cords and fenders, they become sticky and pick up dirt and gum up even faster than they did before.

Last edited:
Toluene, on the other hand, works really well on power cords, fenders, etc.

Toluene, on the other hand, works really well on power cords, fenders, etc.
No doubt, but does it damage the surface in any way? It's a strong solvent so I would test it on something unimportant like a used fender or cord that you can throw away.

Toluene is used to manufacture polymers that are used to make nylon, plastic soda bottles, and polyurethanes among other things. Testing any product in a small area is always a good idea.

Well, I can't vouch for things that I haven't used it on. When I want something made of plastic or rubber really clean, I try toluene on it. So far it has worked well on everything I have tried it on. My hypalon dinghies, power cords, fenders, the little rubber strip in the aluminum molding that Tollycraft uses to cover the hull to deck join, to name a few.
Sometimes you just need to be brave.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom