Teak Filler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hey Guys,

I have a small split in a piece of non structural teak trim that I would like to fill before I varnish it.* Any suggestions on sandable a filler that will match the teak color?

Thanks

A couple of ideas..... A method recently outlined on the GB owners forum is (assuming bare wood) to first saturate the crack with CPES. Then make a thin teak wedge that will fill the crack for its length and install it with slow-cure epoxy. When everything has cured, sand the wedge down fair and finish the whole piece.

If the crack is too narrow for the wedge method, you can mix teak "dust" from filing a piece of teak with a fine file (don't use sandpaper) with epoxy to make a filler. HOWEVER..... this will most likely come out considerably darker than the surrounding wood.

Or you can experiment with some of the commercial wood fillers to see if you can find a match that will retain the correct color under whatever finish you are using.

-- Edited by Marin at 15:10, 2008-09-25

what about a filler to use when painting over the teak? I'm painting some of my previously too much work and not worth it bright work ie: window frames and need to fill some areas.

-- Edited by Daddyo at 17:48, 2008-09-25

I keep a coffee can of saw dusk around to mix in with the resin. It blends in well....

Daddyo wrote "what about a filler to use when painting over the teak? I'm painting some of my previously too much work and not worth it bright work ie: window frames and need to fill some areas."

What proceedure are you going to follow to do this? I saw an Ocean Alexander, I think it was,
at a boat show the teak hand rails were painted a dark brown it looked very nice. The salesman told me it was some grade of Awlbrite.
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom