View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Tidahapah
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Stabilisers & Flopper stoppers

I have fitted a set of arms to my boat and run a set of flopper stoppers that I use strictly for roll dampening whilst at anchor. The flopper stoppers are in reality a pair of large sea drogues with an adjustable bottom hole to regulate the water flow.

A friend of mine with a similar boat runs a pair of birds (paravane) stabilisers and is looking at improving them as he has experienced a bit of a flying problem at times.
He has come up with these items that I think are fantastic as a cheaper version of the active stabiliser but are passaive and work whilst at anchor or lying at rest.
The Angel Wings (Dolphin Slayers) are a foile shaped wing that folds up beside the hull and is extended out on a shorter version of the paravane arm.
Because of the more balanced forces they do not require quite the same built tough construction.
The wings are fairly large but fold up beside the hull quite neatly.

These units are very popular down south in tasmania on a lot of long liners etc.

Have any of you guys seen these before and if so have any ideas on them
Estimated cost of manufacture and fitment approx $5000.00* (Aus) a lot cheaper than about 40 k for a set of actives.

I have attached a few photos some of an existing install on the Jedgarra a tuna long liner and the others of an on going installation this same boat builder is originally a timber boat builder and will fit them to a traditional plank boat.

Benn
Attached Thumbnails
dscn2261.jpg   dscn2269.jpg   dscn2332.jpg   dscn2355.jpg   dscn2360.jpg  

img_2176.jpg   dscn2360.jpg   img_2181.jpg   dscn2360.jpg  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote