View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #39
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym

30' Monterey trollers are perhaps the worst single choice for any kind of comfort on the water. They're old, small, industrial, cramped cabin, deck space chopped up with fish holds, terrible for holding value, etc... Wood maintenance is going to be a lot of time, work, I.E. money pit. But like a moth to a flame I keep coming back to look at them time after time. So essentially I do lust for one.

Here's a project for you, then. I took this several years ago in Fisherman's Bay on Lopez Island. Don't know if it's still there, or if it is, if it's still on top of the water. While I initially thought it was a Monterey herring boat I subsequently decided it was a Columbia River gillnet boat. Same design either way, however. This is one of my favorite designs, too, dating from my days as a wee lad of 3 or 4 when my mother would take me for walks on the docks of Sausalito harbor where we lived for the first seven years of my life before moving to Hawaii.

There was a whole working fleet of boats there of this design and for whatever reason I focused on one painted green and yellow called the "Lucky Lady." I suspect that is what instilled in me a desire to always be near an ocean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2993640990.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	13936
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote