Setting a Second Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you use for your main anchor, and rode Hendo..?

Depends on the location mate. I primarily and singularly use my main anchor for all anchoring requirements. If I need to use a stern anchor then I deploy that first then roll out some chain, deploy the bow anchor then pull them in. I find you get better accuracy doing it that way.

In saying that, I only really use the second anchor if I'm in a cove and particularly want to see something or somewhere with zero wind or if I'm set up to watch the Australia Day or New Year's Day fireworks. Nothing worse than trying to watch something over your shoulder so I position her to face stern on to the action.

If I'm at a beach then ill swing her around to face away from the beach, lower the bow anchor, reverse up to the beach, get the decky to jump out and put the stern anchor on the beach then drive forward setting the rear and wind up the bow and she's locked. This works great at Rottnest Island as the main pub is right on the beach. Just sit back in the boat, drinking and listening to the band. Awesome!!!

There really is right or wrong way. it all depends on the location as there are to many variables like wind, neighbouring vessels, sea swells and tidal flow etc etc etc

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
What do you use for your main anchor, and rode Hendo..?

Oops read your question wrong .... hahaha sorry mate hahahaha

I use a Sarca excel anchor and gavl 6mm chain on the bow and a standard Sarca anchor with 12mm rope on the rear.

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Oops read your question wrong .... hahaha sorry mate hahahaha
I use a Sarca excel anchor and gavl 6mm chain on the bow and a standard Sarca anchor with 12mm rope on the rear.
iPad Forum Runner

Now the laugh's on me Hendo, for as you will see on eg the "Anchor size, big is better..?" thread, I'm sorta known now a bit on here as the "sarca man". You chose well my friend, so I doubt you have had many bad experiences with those anchors..?

Now the laugh's on me Hendo, for as you will see on eg the "Anchor size, big is better..?" thread, I'm sorta known now a bit on here as the "sarca man". You chose well my friend, so I doubt you have had many bad experiences with those anchors..?

Ah we'll cant blame ya mate. They are only the best anchor I've ever used! Lol

I've not had one bad experience anchoring that was resultant of the Sarca anchor. The only time I did have an issue anchoring was when I first used the excel. I couldn't retrieve it as it was lodged under some coral and I didn't have that thing on the front that the say you should to avoid the issue I had lol. I was just use to running the normal Sarca where you can just drive it out. So yeah, my fault not the anchor. They are an awesome bit of kit. What one do you have?

iPad Forum Runner

Well, Hendo, as you will have seen by now from that other thread, I have a Super Sarca, and that's why I love the slot. So I don't have happen what you just described with the Excel above. It would be too hard for me to swap then round, but in the smaller sizes, however, like you, with one of each, you have the choice. If in foul ground, rocks or coral, then use the Super - in softer, homogenous bottoms, the Excel would no doubt...well...excell...literally.
I think I am right in assuming you present boat is somewhat smaller than 30 odd feet...? Until you finish that nifty 35 footer you have coming along there, that is...

Well, Hendo, as you will have seen by now from that other thread, I have a Super Sarca, and that's why I love the slot. So I don't have happen what you just described with the Excel above. It would be too hard for me to swap then round, but in the smaller sizes, however, like you, with one of each, you have the choice. If in foul ground, rocks or coral, then use the Super - in softer, homogenous bottoms, the Excel would no doubt...well...excell...literally.
I think I am right in assuming you present boat is somewhat smaller than 30 odd feet...? Until you finish that nifty 35 footer you have coming along there, that is...

Hi mate,
Yeah I have two other boats. One is a 18ft Haines Hunter 1800SO ski boat with a 250hp EFI Mercury with no anchor and the other one is a Bayliner 3055 Ceria. They will both go when I've finished building the timber boat or before hand if the bank dries up lol ;-). I will however remove the anchors from the Bayliner if they are the right size (weight wise) for the timber one.

iPad Forum Runner

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom