View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #42
Hendo78
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Itís a Hendo and Flic displacement Special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Originally Posted by manyboats
El Sea,
I'd much rather work on a wood hull than a rotten cored deck of a FG boat. And anybody buying any boat should do so w their eyes wide open and having through surveys done irregardless of what the boat was built of. And usually wood boats are worth fixing because in the end you'll have a better boat. Lighter, stronger, better looking, more efficient, quieter and subject to less vibration. Some people think anything that is more modern is better but I will admit there is more painting to be done on a wood boat. But lots of people actually like painting boats. Marin says he does but then he covers up his wood even while cruising?????? I like painting to a degree but prepping is kind of a drag. But for most things (except painting) a wood boat is a better boat.

Ya know, guys... I spent my first 25 + years growing up on, working on and repairing and restoring and refinishing wood boats in New England... so, I well understand the efforts and time and materials and knowledge required. I recommend all boat owners, or wanna be owners, to carefully review all portions of Scary’s (Steve’s) post http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...raft-6833.html i.e. "I'm about to start a project on an older Chris Craft."

Having visited the boat’s repair site, being shown around and an in-depth discussion with Steve, I saw that Steve and his assistant are doing an exemplary fine job. I can only imagine the completed cost to boat owner... albeit, at completion, the owner will have a like new wooden vessel... Thanks to Steve’s Know How!

Therefore, I respectfully say, to own and care for a well built wood boat as compared to a well built FG boat (wood – vs – FG, although each is maintainable) are different as night and day. In decades past I owned and cared for woodys (my own boats and many other owners’ boats in boat yards; a lot of refinishing and often structurally repairing boat portions with shipwrights). I also worked in a new boat builder’s factory, building both wood and FG boats – up to 65’ loa). I have since owned and cared for fiberglass vessels. Again, I say, wood – vs – FG are different as night and day!

Hendo and manyboats... have you Captains ever owned a well constructed and well designed fiberglass boat in comparison to a woody? If so, what was your experience between the two very different build-out materials’ overall ownership efforts, maintenance, and expense?

May I add, Tolly I currently own has little wood exposed to exterior (only the sliders on each side of salon – rest is FG and SS). And, although I’ve had simple times maintaining/caring-for other FG boats - -> this 1977 Tolly is the easiest by far, also, her original build-out was extremely well done.

I look forward to learn your comparison feelings – IF, in addition to owning and caring for wood boat – you have owned and cared for fiberglass boat too.

Happy Boating Daze! - Art

PS: Bottom pict is wife, daughter and her hubby with a good morning cup-o-jo!
Hi Art,
In response to your question, Yes mate. In fact, all I have ever owned is FG. The timber boat I'm building will be my first woody ( well in the boating sense I mean ) hahaha. So I could argue very strongly on the pro side for FG. I'm a carpenter and I know what I'm getting myself into with regards to preventative maintenance and alike. As much as I would whinge and bitch about having to do things on the woody, I secretly love it as I love doing the up keep on timber. Is it more expensive. Yes. Is it more time consuming? Yes. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that for yourself. For me it's very much worth it.

For ease of maintenance for the weekend boating person then FG would be for you.
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote