Custom newbuilds, on the cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I can't make you any offers Chuck ( I'll stick to my 1 gal hr Willard ) but I'd like to know ...your WWL, Max hp and displacement. " blowing them out " must be glorious funnn. I love the sound of a DD at work. Your wake at 20 knots mut be a sight to see .. prefferably from your boat. If I had your boat I could live here a week there a week and anywhere in SE AK for whatever period of time. I'd have to sell my house and hit the GOP for buckets of bailout money to get under way. If I called up Wrangel on the VHF asking for moorage I'd probably be greeted with a period of silence.

Eric Henning
Willard 30
Thorne Bay AK

Eric,

Can't say that I blame you in terms of economy. Our max HP is 1470 (735/engine), and we displace a little over 40 tons. I gotta tell ya, pushing that much mass at 20 kts can be downright scary! You could literally surf on the wake.

Much of LA Harbor is 5 kt (no wake) speed limit. At idle speed, both engines in gear, we cruise at 5.6 kts and burn around 3 gph. At idle speed, we don't even make a lump.

Truth be told, this is a perfect boat for the PNW, and there are many Vantares up there.

Chuck, If you were to change the stern into disp configuration it should take about 200 hp to drive her at 8.5 to 9 knots if she's about 55 feet .. maybe she's longer ?? Five or six hp per ton should be plenty. That still wouldn't be much under 10 gph.

Eric

"Your boat is not a full displacement hull."

However it is round bottomed , and has long bilge keels added as roll dampers .

There are NO flats aft to destabelize the boat at 8K , and of course the boat does roll less when semi plaining at 12K , but the ride difference is not worth the difference between 2,5 gph to 10gph.

FF

Back
Top Bottom