View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Russell,
Yes I agree that's a good way to do it but you may be somewhat dependent on the stiffness of your hull to keep shaft and coupling forces within tolerable limits. With a stiff hull it should be fine.
Those Cat's must be smooth engines. Lucky guy.

FF,
Yes the optimal alignment is 2 degrees from straight.

Stray-Cat,
The R&D flex coupling is very good for engines that are on relatively firm mounts. Of course it is only about 1/15th as much money and trouble but there is the potential danger of doing serious transmission damage. That occurs only if the bolt heads come in contact w the transmission output flange. Then the shaft will hammer the thrust bearing and do serious damage. I once had to replace a transmission because of that. One needs to make sure they have the right size mount so it can take the thrust without pushing the bolt heads up to the transmission flange. Periodic checks should be made as the plastic may weaken over time. I like these couplings and would use one again but I'd be very careful to insure the bolts didn't touch. I'd probably get the next size up. Wouldn't be quite as flexible but safer.

Miss Rachel,
Right.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote