ZF 80-1A Transmission Filter Replace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earl34Mainship

Vessel Name
Gone Coastal
Vessel Make
2005 34' Mainship Trawler
The owner's manual for my ZF 80-1A tells me to replace the filter each time I change the ATF, but the ZF parts person told me all I needed to do was rinse out the filter with brake cleaner and drop it back in... A new filter is about $50... any suggestions as to rinse or replace? I'm favoring replacing...

Thanks,

Earl

I have a ZF 63A, and after talking to the ZF company tech when we bought the boat 5 years ago, I've been following his advise and cleaning the filter with a canned gun cleaning spray. The first time, after 50 hours run time, there was a bit of metal shavings, but since then the filter has been clean. I would think the break cleaner would work well too.

Steve

Thanks Steve - this is what I'm hearing from others - I'm also hearing that particles (small micron size) may not be visible... I'll examine the filter and rinse (brake) cleaner once I have the filter in hand...

Thanks Steve,

What I like about the gun cleaner spray, (can't remember the name of it) is that it blows out with good force cleaning the screen.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom