Counter rotation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bilgewater

Vessel Name
Sunset Lady
Vessel Make
1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
For the folks with twin engines, how many have counter-rotation? And is this done by the engines or the transmissions? My Perkins 4-236s and Velvet drives both go the same direction. I am leaning toward the idea that counter rotation is a better set up, but can it be done with the transmission instead of the the engine? The archives aren't much help here. Comments?

Most twins counter rotate. Most are done with the transmission although the Perkins 6-354 and the DDs can be done at the engine. Cummins, Lehmans and Yanmars cannot.

Some Velvet Drive transmissions can be set up to counter rotate, but I recall that some internals must be changed. If you change rotation, you will have to get a new prop.

I don't see enough benefit (no torque steer in forward, backs straight with both engines at same rpm) to make it worthwhile.

David

Most twins today are counter- rotating. While there are some counter- rotating engines out there most boats do it with gears.

The obvious advantage to counter-rotating props is that you have no prop walk when you don't want it and a lot of propwalk when you do.

Last edited:
I have the same setup and I would not find this of any value to me. Coming from a single this is still night and day to back into my slip.

One of my Velvet drive Trans has a reversing gear added. It also changes the reduction slightly, from 1.9 to about 2.0.

Back
Top Bottom