cable cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunvale

I took down the mast on my 36 IG to paint it. Both of the stainless steel cables holding the mast have plastic wraps around them. Of course the plastic fell apart as I coiled the cable.
Anyone know where I can find new plastic covers for the cable.
I checked a couple of Marine supply places but they had no idea what I was talking about.

any particular reason you are replacing them as many boats don't have them?

if set on replacing them....lifeline covers may work if you can find them...

if not.... McMaster-Carr

I'd be interested to know what the plastic covers accomplish. Our boat has a pair of stainless stays for the mast and they look pretty much the same today as they looked whenever they were put on the boat, which for all I know was 39 years ago. It was certainly more than 14 years ago which is when we bought it.

A plastic wrap might make it a little less painful if you whack into the stay, I don't know. But I'm not sure what they'd accomplish in terms of the longevity of the stays.

Not sure why I need to replace them either, but you can ask my wife. She has veto power when it comes to some things on the boat. :)

In my sailboating days, we only put plastic (coil-like) coverings on the portion of the stays where sheets (lines controlling the sails) would rub against such as when tacking. No reason otherwise.

There's no plastic on the Coot's stays. Only on the wire gates.

img_111236_0_07be9f97c81d445cbad9945e788c5ea0.jpg

Last edited:
Good...if the wife wants plastic covering...let her find it and thread it...and redo the fittings....:D

Been married long or often?:D:angel:

Both :D...but if a man's gotta replace cable covers because the wifey says so...she better be 9's all around if she's gonna fight that battle.:socool:

I took down the mast on my 36 IG to paint it. Both of the stainless steel cables holding the mast have plastic wraps around them. Of course the plastic fell apart as I coiled the cable.
Anyone know where I can find new plastic covers for the cable.
I checked a couple of Marine supply places but they had no idea what I was talking about.

What marine supply places?

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about from your description, but why don't you take a piece of it to a West Marine store and see if that helps?

They are also known as shroud covers. Generally used on sail boats to protect sails and sheets from wear and gray "dirt" as they pass over the shrouds during tacks.

Search Results at West Marine=

Other than that the just dress things up a little bit. One downside, salt and moisture get under the covers and are protected as they cause corrosion you can't see.

Miss Rachel

Welcome to the forum Miss Rachel.

Those are the exact same covers I recently installed on my sailboat. A little further down that page are the spreader boots I used too. Total time to install all was less than 20 minutes and they dressed things up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom