View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
The best passagemaker on the planet

After studying specs and talking to owners I have figured our what is the best passagemaker on the planet and if we can swing the financing we are going to trade up from our old, plodding GB.

This true passagemaker has a one-level living space. No stairs, no ladders. It has tons of room in the cabins, too. Two--- count 'em--- two galleys (both in galley up configuration).

It's twin-engine, which as I've said before I far prefer over a single.

And best of all, even though it has a rounded displacement hull, it's way fast. At least it seems fast to me after 14 years of creeping along at 8 knots.

In talking to people who have gone up the Inside Passage in boats like our GB, it's a ten day trip if you run only during the day and the weather cooperates the whole time.

In the Beaver it's a six hour trip (flying time) betrween Seattle and Prince Rupert.

The passagemaker we want to get goes from Seattle to Prince Rupert in an hour.

Crossing the Pacific in a Nordhavn would take what, two or three weeks maybe? More? LIfe's too short to spend that much tme crossing a big blank ocean full of waves and stuff.

The passagemaker we want does it in ten hours.

The manufacturer currently has quite a backlog of orders but I think if we get our names in early next year we might be able to take delivery in as little as two years or so. That will give us plenty of time to unload the GB.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote