Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #138
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Psneeld, that is a great story. Thanks for sharing. How many fenders and lines did you you use? Would fender boards helped or hurt in your situation?
Used fender boards and they worked as designed (2x4s tied to fenders).

As I posted...I chose a location well protected from wind....I used 2 bow lines and one was not needed, 2 springs as normal and a stern line....all 2 year old 1/2 inch 3 strand...with 1 inch clear vinyl chafe protection...but as i said the winds and seas never amounted to much as I chose a hole protected by 50-75 foot tall trees and no fetch....only when the eye passed right over us and the wind shifted to straight up the river did the wind seem more than a summer squall.

I did try and set an anchor out abeam and it caught enough to let me use my windlass with a snatch block to claw my way off the bulkhead in moderating winds and dropping tides to shift one fender board setup as the main one did break at the height of the storm but the pieces were so tightly wedged that they helped until the tide was dropping.

The only thing was rising water and I escaped by inches like everyone else...the difference is I could have walked off my boat via dock steps into thigh/knee deep water and waded 50 feet to dry land and safety.