Galley up or galley down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Libertarian

Veteran Member
Hi.

So, how did the 2008 boating season treat you all?* Anybody ding a prop or holler at the missus for almost crashing the boat?** Did Phil ever leave the dock?* Fred, what did you find at that Florida flea market?

Is this the new "see and be seen" spot for the chimney-in-the-salon-roof troller crowd?

xoxo

Q

Welcome aboard, Q. FF is grumpy as ever and getting grumpier. We have not heard from Philfil....Last I heard he got in a tussle at Macy's during their year end shoe sale. Pull up a chair and light the fire in the salon!!!!

Libertarian wrote:Hi.

So, how did the 2008 boating season treat you all?
2008 was good to me &* I'm feeling pretty cocky.* As the end of the season nears I think I've nailed the technique for backing my single screw boat into her slip.** I might even venture a single handed trip this weekend.

Hey, finding a good pair of heels on sale to die for is worth a tussle.* (-; *Yes, we left the dock a couple of times.* The furthest and most recent was down to Port Orchard, 30 miles for the CHB gathering.* I would have said rondevue but dont know how to spell it? (0; *It was just the wife and me so its almost like single handling.* OK, it is single handling it.* )-;

I dont post much on this site as most have more knowledge and experience than I do.** I do not discuss most of the topics Off the Deep End and BLOND jokes make sense to me so I dont get the humor of them?*******
So tell us about the second Connie you bought?* The rumor is you are thinking about putting a chimney stove to ugly it up. Its Ok to come out of the closet as we know there is a Trawler guy lurking deep inside you.* I mean once you are out, no telling what you will do.* It seems most Connies have the galley down and sort of under the big front window, so its not like down down in the dark scary recess of the boat.* So do we really want to talk galley up or down?* How boring? *How about décor, lighting and/or appliances?**
Oh, word of warning, next summer, we might be two weeks in your area as two of our children and 7 grand children move there.* Now the wife want to move the big ugly boat to the East Coast.* Ha right!* As if I am going to move the boat 2000 miles when 30 miles is nerve racking enough.* (-;** More like truck/ship it.* 3 more years!* Well, now since the economy has tanked more like 10 years.* )-;
So what is so hard about backing a single into a slip.* Just hold that little button down and bow thrust around, throw lines to the dozen of people on the dock you have called and let them pull you into the slip.* Works for me!

The rainy season is here so time to get out the pink bunny slippers to keep my pedicure feet/toes warm.* Ok I am going back to lurking this site as the PMM site seems to be working again.* (-; (0; (-;*(0;* Gee I wish those face things worked?* )-;

Phil Fill wrote:
So what is so hard about backing a single into a slip.* Just hold that little button down and bow thrust around, throw lines to the dozen of people on the dock you have called and let them pull you into the slip.* Works for me!
Bowthruster?* Bowthruster?* We don't need no stinkin' bow thruster.* I can propwalk that baby right where I want her to go.* But I'll tell 'ya what's weird, when I look back over my left shoulder everything works fine.* But if I turn and look over my right shoulder everything seems to work backwards!* Go figure.

Cruising , galley up,,, Voyaging galley down.

The motion of the vessel does detirmine where the cookie can function.

Location of the stove/ range is more critical in Voyaging.

Should be athwart ships , as if mounted outboard , fore and aft , HALF the time a pot gets tossed , it will boil the wall, the other Half of the time it cooks the cook.

Not a great choice. Even if gymballed.

=====

The Dania market was grand as usual, got a fine new helm chair , on a booster extension large enough to maintain standing eye height while sitting.$200 Euro made.

Lots of small stuff and found 2 Galley Maid macerators for some buddies,($40) a huge step up from the Jabsco crap , with out the $1200 cost of a new Obendorfer, the lifetime solution.

Also found a commercial grade Perko 360deg light for anchoring for boats 65+ft..
Perko makes it for any position , just uses masks to fit it as bow or stern or anchor.

Will be really interesting to see if the "marine police" hassel me this year in Boca Siega Bay , as they have other cruisers.

The boardings occur at 2AM , for "an insufficent anchor light",, with a 5 mile rated range it will be interesting hearing the claim from the boarding gang.

FF

Fred, I'd say the best deal I got were three new aluminum tanks with senders (65gal holding, 128gal fuel, 98gal fuel) for $250, if I remember correctly. I also picked up two 1" outlet Oberdorfer raw water pumps with manifolding for $40, and a bunch of other stuff. It was well worth the trip.

Phil, I hope you didn't hurt the other ladies with your sailorman musculature. Gotta play fair.

The next boat is a work in progress, but it's a Chris Craft Roamer not a Connie. It's got the same classic flush deck MY lines as our current Connie, but with a smaller OAL of 46' and in aluminum rather than god's hull material. With one extra foot of beam, though, it actually feels (and probably is) more spacious. Maybe when you come to visit, you can come out and help me with the refit!

Oh, and it's a galley up, of course!

I know I said I was going to lurk, but I need my daily fix.* (-;

When we re modeled we make the galley cabinets/space area*smaller and*also *remodel the stern deck to include a galley area including a refrig, freezer, sink, cabinets, BBQ, two burning stove, and a George Forman grill.* So we have two*smaller but adequate galley areas specific to its own area/function*

Being we do not cook cook, a galley up or down would not matter as long as there was a stern galley area that is open to the outside.* If we do cook its on the stern deck. **Most of what we buy is pre cooked/prepared and/or micro wave and we use paper/plastic plates.* I mean if you can not prepare, eat and clean up the mess in 5 to15 minutes its to much work.*

So you might want to think about having a stern deck galley area and reducing the size of the main galley as each serve its own function and area.* .*

On my Mainship Pilot, the galley,salon,berth,head,sitting area, reading area,etc are all in about a 10 sq foot area!!!!

Seriously, as I am a continuous shopper of boats, I always liked galley down but I am slowly evolving into galley up to have one larger space instead of two smaller compartmentalized spaces.

An interesting layou I have seen recently was on a friend's Vista Sundeck. The galley is aft and down near the aft queen berth. It is a very seperate space and like Fred said, would be excellent in a seaway but it would cut the cook off from any social activity. I just thought it was different and pretty neat.

three new aluminum tanks with senders (65gal holding,

Aluminum for HOLDING tank? it had better be easily removable when you need plan B

Nicest innovation I saw at a show was a small "day head" that was off to one side next to the sliding doors into the deck house.

A pain for a mixed crew to have to wander below to simply hit the head , this gives EZ access , bathing suits dripping and all .

But it WAS on a 55 ft bucket.

FF

That's one big bucket!

Seriously though, if you have an aluminum holding tank, might as well go ahead and replace it before it dissolves underneath you. Better to do it now than later.

OK.* Wait a minute.* I thought "galley up or galley down" was the universal greeting of troller types, understood in every nation regardless of mother tongue.* You guys really take this seriously. lol

On the aluminum holding tanks, my understanding is that though it may not last forever like plastic, installation kills aluminum.* If absolutely electrically isolated and installed such that no water can sit between the aluminum and whatever it sits on, where does the "instant corrosion" come from?

Libertarian wrote:

If absolutely electrically isolated and installed such that no water can sit between the aluminum and whatever it sits on, where does the "instant corrosion" come from?
From what's inside it.* Even stainless steel is a terrible material to make a holding tank out of (I know, our boat had been fitted with one that we had to replace not long after we got the boat).* The contents will eat at and pinhole a stainless tank in pretty short order so I can't imagine how fast an aluminum tank would break down.* Some of the rest stops on I-5 between Seattle and Bellingham had stainless steel dividers beween the urinals.* Despite regular cleaning (I assume) they were pitting and breaking down within a few years.* Most of them have since been removed.

There is a reason that no boat manufacurer (of any repute) uses metal for holding tanks and the better marine sanitation suppliers don't offer metal holding tanks.* The only two basic materials recommended for holding tanks are various plastic formulations and fiberglass.

Urine is one of the most corrosive things there is. It's just about as bad as pouring hydrychloric acid down the toilet! It also will destroy SS tanks. Just look at SS backing in the men's rooms. Rusts away severely.

OK. Sounds like it's time to get plastic. I'm sure I can find some use for the holding tank.

A buddy with an aluminum holding tank said it went 15 years before it developed a leak. I should follow up with him and see if he was flushing overboard that whole time. lol

Beer is like coffee , you don't BUY it you RENT it.

In the aluminum holding tank "where does "instant corrosion" come from?" is rapidly answered.

This forum (or my computer) doesn't always show the most recent posts to a thread. curious...

Willy, the Connie is a wonderful boat in many ways, but the previous owner committed fraud when he sold it to us. We are deep into a lawsuit now and have a trial date in February 2009. Final depositions will take place on the 16th of this month.

The roamer project is a labor of love. I've always had a soft spot for taking good, old, unloved mechanical things and bringing them back to life. This boat's just the latest and biggest project. It will replace the connie when she goes away in 2009. There's a Roamer forum that I've been posting project pix on. Check it out at http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/chris-craft-roamer-discussion/8178-found-roamer-46-a.html

and http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/c...ion/8246-freeing-stuck-rudders-46-roamer.html

And for a bunch of hate on the Lehman repower, see http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/chris-craft-roamer-discussion/8248-repower-1969-46-my.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom