Sailing Dink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as the dinghy does not project higher or much higher then the arms on the davits it should work.

While we have a swim step and so used a different set of Weaver davits for our Livingston I think it's nice if the dinghy in the stowed position can want to tip into the transom rather than pull away from it. This means that instead of having a constant pull on the mounting fasteners for the standoff arms and L-brackets, particularly the brackets mounted to the transom itself, the dinghy is pushing against them.

Another advantage to having the dinghy tipped forward some is that water that splashes up into the dinghy from below will immediately run back out again.

Tipping the dingy forward like this may be impossible to do without a swimstep mount but if you can do it at all it might be worthwhile. But I should add that I see Weaver installations that put the dinghy vertical all the time and so far as I know these people have not had problems with the mounting hardware wanting to pull out. In addition to the screws we also bedded the brackets in 5200.

You can see in the attached photo how our Livingston leans into the boat. Positioning the dinghy vertically would have had the dinghy pulling back on the standoff arm and bracket mounting hardware. Not that this would have caused a problem, but we figured to put all the cards in our favor and minimize the strain on the screws.

The other boat is Carey's 36' lobsterboat. He designed the davits holding the Bullfrog and had them fabricated by a Bellingham machine shop.

Attachments

• image-952460444.jpg
    image-952460444.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I think maybe, finally I see a solution to where to store my dink. The Weaver snap davits look like the ticket. I'll need to figure out if I need the regular or raised version.

Are there any other issues I need to consider before I head down this path?

Hey Marin,

"As long as the dinghy does not project higher or much higher then the arms on the davits it should work."

Does this mean that when in the water, the dinghy should not be higher than the davit....so that it is easy to hook up?

Next time you are on the boat, shoot me a couple close up pictures of the davits and the clips on the dinghy...please!

Thanks, Eric

I was going to go the route Cary went but now that we're down here (WA) I don't want the extra moorage. I'l probably need to crane from the roof. Sure like the aft davits though.

As to the setup Marin has I think I'd only go that route w a dry stack. Had that setup once on another boat and exhaust fumes came over the stern and lots of exhaust noise. Don't like my aft vision messed w either. Wouldn't consider the crane but Willy has two tons of ballast.

I wonder if Cary's Bull Frog extends beyond the side of the boat? I was thinking of having a 12' aluminum skiff sticking out on the stbd side a bit over two feet. Shouldn't be a problem for many but our moorage is tight enough to drop that idea.

Baggiolini/Lurker--- The Weaver "arms" on the hardshell dinghy mount should align as closely as possible with the brackets on the swimstep with the boat floating in the water next to the swimstep and you in it. This makes it easier to clip the arms onto the brackets. But a perfect alignment is not necessary. In our case I have to push the bow of the Livingston down to get the arm up front to snap into the bracket. Weaver offers a raised or stepped-up swimstep bracket if it''s needed or you can mount the swimstep brackets on blocks.

I will not be a the boat for a few weeks as I'm heading off to direct a project overseas. I'll try to remember to take photos when I come back if you still want them but these installations are common as dirt so I would imagine you could see dozens of installation examples in your marinas.

FYI the setup for using Weaver snap davits on an inflatable/RIB are the other way round. The bracket is mounted on the dinghy and the arms are mounted on the swimstep. They have specific hardware for this.

Eric--- We've no issues at all with exhaust coming up over the stern or any change in exhaust noise. The exhaust outlets on a GB are very close to the ends of the transom and they are below the swimstep. The lower edge of the dinghy is actually quite aways above them. However I can see where your concern could be an issue in a boat with a different stern, swimstep, and exhaust configuration.

Carey's Bullfrog does not stick out to the side. His former dinghy, an aluminum Duraboat--- which is what he had when he had the davits fabricated--- was a couple of feet longer and the motor did stick out a bit which proved to be problematical at times. While in my wide-angle photo it does look like the bow of his Bullfrog is extending beyond the starboard side, it doesn't.

Last edited:
Not a real contribution to the discussion but does anyone have a sail for a Dyer Midget that they would sell? That's the 7' 10" Dyer model.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom