Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #29
Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I'm just off the ICW in Stuart, FL getting some glass work, but while traveling north on the ICW from Miami two weeks ago, I gotta tell you....it was like a battle of survival with the go-fast boats. Sometimes they'd be in bunches of a half-dozen or so and pass me on both sides at the same time, using the narrow track I left on the starboard side as their own private opportunity to really hammer down and get by some of the other go-fast traffic. I practice turning bow or stern quarter toward the wakes (either works just as well with a Manatee) but with the narrow width of the ICW in places and the two sided traffic assault of a south Florida weekend, you're gonna get it. I hope to finish the work here this weekend, but I'll be waiting to make the trip back to Miami during the week when most of the crazys are doing something else.

Something of note though: I did not pass one single trawler style cruiser of any kind in the two days on the ICW. How, realistically, can one single trawler on the hundred miles or so of that section of the ICW expect to get any consideration from the hundreds of go-fast boat drivers whose enjoyment is crashing into each other's wakes? In south Florida on a weekend with a trawler, you're the odd man out.
Larry, maybe they were just trying to get a good look at your Double Doody Dinghy Davits.

The 100 mile stretch of ICW that you describe has the most discourteous boaters than any other stretch of the ICW. If the weather is cooperative at all I will avoid it by travelling outside between Ft. Pierce Inlet and Government Cut. It is much more pleasant, and no bridges.

If you want to try outside from Stuart, I recommend you get some local knowledge of the St. Lucie Inlet.

Who is doing your glass work?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote