Californian 34 LRC Trim Tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eck

Vessel Name
Jocelyn
Vessel Make
Californian 34' LRC
The trim tabs were taken off my boat sometime before my ownership. I am having a hard time getting faster than 10 and she pushes too much water at that speed. Looking for advice on size and type. Saw a pic that looked to be 12"x24" but not sure. Pure 3208's, 23x17 3 bladed props. Thank You

Well, here's the problem....your prop's too high out of the water!!

img_110474_0_6f2738b76d74320d700cbc2802cb4a80.jpg

Eck, welcome to the forum! Your first post and already someone you don't know is posting a pic of your boat!

I haven't been stalking you, but I was in Sausalito for the first time during Fleet Week and noticed your boat. I'm always on the lookout for sister-ship Californians, especially 34's. (ignore the Bayliner Avatar...it's a long story but I really own a 34 Californian.) I came back in my dinghy and snapped a couple of pix. I also got a shot of Finito a few rown down from you. I wondered from afar how you got that motor mount on the aft rail, then up close saw that your rails are SS. Yours looks like a later model Wellcraft boat. What year is Jocelyn?

There are some other threads that might provide you some info on props, trim tabs and speeds. Here are a few:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s24/34-californian-articles-specs-factory-options-list-4314.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s24/can-californian-34lrc-get-up-step-6155.html

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s24/34-californian-props-5144.html

My 34 has twin Perkins 4.236 85HP with 20x18 props. Some of the Perkins 200 twins had 22x21 props, as tested in the first article. My boat has Bennett trim tabs. I can check the trim tab size on my 34, but I don't know if it would be relevant to your boat.

How's your WOT RPM? Clean bottom and good props? I'm sure others with planing versions will be able to contribute much more to the conversation.

You might also find other helpful info in the Californian Forum here.

Welcome aboard!!

I had a 1983 34' Californian LRC with twin CAT 3208's, 210 hp each engine. It had 23x20, 3 bladed, no cup props. I cruised at 14-15 knots at around 2400 rpm and around 19 knots at full throttle (around 2750 rpm).

Sounds to me like you need to get new props.

I forgot to tell you that I did not have trim tabs. I made a mistake in the previous message, I checked the survey and the speed at full throttle was around 17 knots.

Thanks for the responses. She is a 1982. WOT right now is about 2400 but she does not like her bow so high. It does seem that she needs different props and tabs..

Eck,

With the correct props, you should be able to get 2800 rpms at WOT. It sounds like your not able to get out of the hole to get up on plane. I was very happy with my configuration cruising at 14-15 knots at 2400 rpm and I did not have trim tabs, although I'm sure they would help.

You may have thought of this, but a good prop shop has software that will give you the recommended size prop for your boat specs. However, I've been told by prop shops that this is no longer considered an exact science, so I would get recommendations from 2-3 shops. Also, you should be able to get used props at a decent price since new one are so expensive.

As far as how the boat got from Miami to CA, I once read that the builder designed the 34 with a screw on flybridge so it could be taken off for land transportation.

Karl

I have a 1983 Californian 34LRC with the 3208NA. I found that running with the tabs full down works best for me. I get 2800 RPM with average load but only 27 fully loaded for fishing, 6 people, full fuel and water, am over propped slightly. At 2300 to 2400 run about 15 knots. If I back off on the tabs any, I slow down.

As an aside tabs weren't working when I bought the boat, but were in the full down position. Bow seemed to be too far down in the water, so I expected better performance if I got them fixed. Started out with them full up and kept putting in down tabe until I had full down tab. At that time I started to retract them and performance, speed, dropped off so I just put them down and leave them down. It comes up out of the water pretty good and seems to cruise OK. Go figure.

Last edited:
I have a 1984 34LRC w/Detroit 8.2L engines @ 250 hp ea. It has Bennet trim tabs, 3-bladed props; 23x21? When we first bought the boat, the props were a bit larger; over time & some ground contact repairs, they have come down in size. I'll try to get the original prop size for you. Boat cruises @ 8-9 kts @ 1900 rpm. WOT generates 2900 - 3000 rpm & 20-21kts. Boat has also gotten heavier with time; funny what age does. Boat seems quite sensitive to trim tab use at any speed over 15 kts; not so much at slower speeds.

FlyRight, Carl-Fl, FighterPilot, chc, and all,

Happy Halloween and thank you all. This is the first 'blog/group' I am a participant in and you all are great. Jocelyn was as we understand was built for Jake & Barbara, (jake was the CFO of Wellcraft?) friends of the original and 3rd owners of Marshall boat co. Got to connect with them and they are great. We really love (and use) the boat and are committed making us happy, mutually. So although 7.5 mph, is 'greener' at 3GPH we look forward to the option of 'stepping up'. As we all know, this is not a venture we do for economic gain. We will be good stewards as money allows and you are all ways welcome to happy hour.

Next: 4 bladed correct props, trim tabs, paint, a ton of misc love..thanks for the tips.

You might want to rethink the 4 blade instead of a 3 blade for the boat. Talk to a reputable prop shop about what performance you want.

The trim tabs were taken off my boat sometime before my ownership. I am having a hard time getting faster than 10 and she pushes too much water at that speed. Looking for advice on size and type. Saw a pic that looked to be 12"x24" but not sure. Pure 3208's, 23x17 3 bladed props. Thank You
If you want a recommendation on trim tab size and shape, contact the companies that make trim tabs. Bennett is one:

Contact Bennett Marine

Back
Top Bottom