Well this sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are probably zoomed out too far. Try typing the boat name into the search bar at the top left corner of the screen.

Just checked, you are in the same spot you where several hours ago, so it looks like ground tackle is holding. So why did you choice that spot and not further in the bay?

Northport yacht and marina are just down from you furth in the bay? Looks to be 45+ ft boats in there. Both look to be private fancy/expensive but in this situation they should let you tie up?

Both of the other two boat are also in the same spot.

Daddyo, It looks like the storm is riding in about dark on a high tide with a full moon. I thought I would pass along one of my favorite hymns.

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave, Who bid'st the mighty Ocean deep,
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea.

I'll throw in my poetic expertise...

"Roses are red, Violets are blue,
Please save my boat, and my buddy's boat, too."

Amen

I Think I prefer Flywright's verse. The other one is too often played as a funeral dirge for mariners lost at sea. Which doesn't really seem appropriate in this circumstance.

This thread makes me more appreciative of the Wet Coast. Our only worries are dodging the occasional tsunami - like last night. Be well guys - I can completely understand wanting to be onboard to deal with whatever disaster arises. The naysayers will claim you are potentially putting 1st responders lives at risk - to me it seems like you are living your life to the max. Good luck for the next couple of nights.

If they have the skill set ( I believe they do ) they could very well end up being the FIRST to RESPOND ! proven time and time again. Moving to a "safe location" in a storm like this? Define safe ?

Tough call, its made, get er done.

There is an AIS signal for the Princess Chloe. She looks as if she may be against a seawall. Also a signal for the Lunasea across the harbor.

Can't see the other two any longer. Grace appears to be holding strong.

Attachments

• Grace.JPG
    Grace.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 166
Daddy O you have some big brass ones, Godspeed and let us know your alright.

It looks like the trusty Danforth did its job. It is amazing that I can zoom in to see the arc of the swing around the anchor. I don't think we will rest easy about it until Daddyo checks in with an all OK.

It looks like the trusty Danforth did its job. It is amazing that I can zoom in to see the arc of the swing around the anchor. I don't think we will rest easy about it until Daddyo checks in with an all OK.

Correct weight/size DANFORTH ANCHORS :thumb::thumb::thumb:

I used em since 1960's... still DO!

Go Daddyo - GO! Everyone looks forward to your OK report.

Grace has shown up on the AIS chart again. It looks like she is docked at Northport Park.

I was getting concerned. When I looked on Live Ships this morning, about 9:00 AM PDT, Grace did not show up. Looking numurous time she was still not there. Looks like she is safe now. There is another web site called shipfinder that is pretty good also.

Will be interesting to here Daddyo's story. Hope all is well.

First off...Daddyo- hope you all are safe! More brave than me and seriously...if your wife is there on board with you and your kids....SHE must be something else herself!

I'll throw in my poetic expertise...

"Roses are red, Violets are blue,
Please save my boat, and my buddy's boat, too."

Amen

Unfortunately in my instance at the moment, that prayer would have to state:
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Please save my boat, and my other boat too!

You've been there and know that prayer. What a difference a year makes!!

Grace has shown up on the AIS chart again. It looks like she is docked at Northport Park.

Was she missing at some point? I looked before work at like 6am and she was there!

Daddyo is going to have a story to tell that's for sure. If his wife doesn't kill him. :eek:

I just checked and I can't seem to find her, he may have the AIS turned off for some reason.

Elwin

Good evening everyone from beautiful Northport, NY!! First I want to say thank you for your vigilance and your concern. We truly appreciate your efforts and caring. Sorry I couldn't post until this evening but the cell towers here are wiped out and I am now on WiFi. Lots of trees down, power out etc., but the southern side of the Island fared far worse landside then the northern side. The locals who don't exactly have a reputation for touchy feely friendliness etc., have been fantastic. Complete strangers have offered to put us up in their homes as well has the fire department. Several locals watched us over the time on the AIS as well as drove out to the beach to view us and ask about us. Yes my wife and kids are as boss as they come. Josie and I have been together going on 34 years and I couldn't imagine anyone else for my first mate in life. The Danforth is flat out unstoppable in mud. This is the second hurricane in the last 13 months and I can't say enough about chain rode and the biggest Danforth you can carry. The highest gusts for us were in the 90s. At 60,000 lbs it takes quite a bit to get our girl to sail but there were a couple of times that she did pickup quite a bit and move a bit sideways. No hobby horsing at all. The trawler on the seawall behind me "Teak" was pulled off and towed to a marina. In the morning there were four boats on the shore to the west. One a large sailboat looked to be a total loss. The AIS app I have on the phone proved to be a Godsend as family and friends were able to watch us and even call when they saw our direction change with the wind shifts. My brother-in-law in Boston sent me this screen capture of our dance with Sandy as he coined it. Thanks everyone once again and tomorrow I'll toast a few pints with my new local Irish friend (North Sea sailor) over my families good fortune. Please keep those in your prayers who were not as fortunate as we. My heart goes out in particular for the daughter on the HMS Bounty as we saw her (the boat) just before she departed. BY the way I almost forgot, the crew on the Teak sought us out and came over to offer anything they could to assist us. Boating really is the way life should be!

Attachments

• Mark's boat-2 (2).jpg
    Mark's boat-2 (2).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 162
Awesome.. glad it all worked out for you. The captain of the HMS Bounty could have learnt a thing or two from you..

Elwin

Bravo and Congrats Captain and Family!! :thumb:

Gotta Luv Them Big Ol' Danforth!! :D

Wonderful news, Daddyo! Glad you're safe and dry. Any damage or wear onboard from the storm? Lessons learned?

Daddy

In my years of boating to come, I will always tell and remember your story which I lived since the day before yesterday. I had the AIS site showing your position in my laptop day and night up until last night, and we kind of watched you closely. Thank God that now all is joy and happiness.

God bless you all!

I have often thought that I would adopt a similar strategy if needed. Pleased it worked out so well. We are a 47 Selene (65000lb) with 325ft of 3/8BBB and 88lb Rocna, plus dual 75ft 5/8 triple strand nylon snubbers. My concern has always been the breaking strain on the chain in high winds. What size chain did you use?

Daddyo: Did you have to adjust the 3/4" triple braid nylon/snubber at all? How did chafe protection fair? From an anchoring standpoint, would you set things up differently? It had to quite the pucker factor situation.

Way to go Daddyo.
Hero status Dude. All of you.

Sd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom