Well this sucks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Last year I spent a few days going one on one on the hook with Irene in Deltaville, VA. Now after a summer and fall of incredible cruising in Maine my family is now in the cross hairs of Frankinstorm!! We are in Northport, NY waiting to see what unfolds. We will be on the hook with an 18-1 scope of all chain rode and our trusty Danforth buried deep in the mud. To all those in harms way I wish you the best and know that we are with you.

Good luck, Daddyo and crew. I remember well following your adventure in anchoring during Irene. Hope the Danforth doesn't let you down. Be sure to let us know you are OK.

Hold on tight Daddyo! Stay Safe!

Daddyo, fear not and good luck!

I recommend to stay alert and assertive/assistive in actions before and during a big storm; remain in the lee much as possible. Big item is to notice who/what may be up wind form you that might break loose to cause mid-storm havoc. Mid 60’s we survived a hurricane by carefully anchoring in Dering Harbor with a convertible / raised deck / FB 38’ sport fisher hung on a big ol’ Danforth. Plenty of scope let out. Through midpoint of night we had engine running for forward push assistance so gusts would not break anchor loose and start it into a drag (altering wind velocity throughout the storm - 95 + mph at its top speed, right around midnight). I believe in Danforth’s dual fluke design... Carry four (4) sizes of Danforth design on our Tolly today. 35 lb for general anchor out. 65 lb for a big blow. 45 lb if for any reason an intermediate sized spare becomes needed. Good sized flukes but very light weight aluminum model for a stern anchor when desired/required in good weather conditions. Some think me crazy/paranoid for carrying so many good anchors aboard. Could say: “This ain’t my first day on the water”; I call it being VERY prepared and therefore safe for ANY needs that may suddenly prevail. Also, I carry rode aboard to handle all anchoring requirements. ;)

Get it on Daddyo, weather dat storm! :thumb:

Back at the turn of the century, Angelina sat out hurricane Floyd at her mooring in Dredge Harbor. She had twin 3/4" mooring lines with leather chafe gear. Dredge Harbor is very protected but still it's a harbor. She made it through the actual storm and then lost one of her mooring lines (3/4" with leather chafe protection!) on the wind that followed the actual hurricane.

This time she is up on land covered in shrink wrap behind a lot of buildings away from the harbor. Hope she'll be as lucky.

One of the contemplating plans we HAD :mad: was to leave NL some year about the end of September and head to Florida or Gulf of Mexico for the winter returning in the spring. I am now thinking that would be crazy given the number of storms that we would have to dodge. I do believe we will continue placing the boat on the hard during the winter and if we ever decide to head to Florida, it will be with the 5-wheel staying inland as much as I can. :hide:

Elwin

One of the contemplating plans we HAD :mad: was to leave NL some year about the end of September and head to Florida or Gulf of Mexico for the winter returning in the spring. I am now thinking that would be crazy given the number of storms that we would have to dodge.
Elwin
----------------------------------
Why don't you do the ICW in reverse. Through the St. Lawrence to Chicago and South to the Gulf. Now that would be a hell of a trip!!:socool:

http://www.captainjohn.org/GL-2-Intro.html

Larry B

Last edited:
Ya thought about that too Larry.. may have to do some more thinking / planning about it. :huh:

Elwin

Hoping for the best for you! Stay safe!

Daddyo, is all chain a good idea? I always thought the rope took more of the shock load. Maybe chain to a tire and chain to the boat, leaving the chain a shock absorber so to speak. Good luck brotha!

Thanks guys! We are using two 3/4" triple braided lines attached to the snubber for shock absorbtion. The good thing about this boat is due to her low windage and heavy weight she doesn't sail very much in the big blows. We have a 15-1 scope with the Danforth buried in grey mud.

Last year I spent a few days going one on one on the hook with Irene in Deltaville, VA. Now after a summer and fall of incredible cruising in Maine my family is now in the cross hairs of Frankinstorm!! We are in Northport, NY waiting to see what unfolds. We will be on the hook with an 18-1 scope of all chain rode and our trusty Danforth buried deep in the mud. To all those in harms way I wish you the best and know that we are with you.

If you and your family plan on staying on board during a hurricane, I suggest rethinking that. If you lose your boat, you can replace it. Not so if you lose your life.

Leave the boat, stay in a hotel or a shelter.

Our weather guy just said there's a possibility of 12+ foot storm surge in Long Island Sound and, "could be a devastating event for NYC."

My friend... GET THE F*CK OUT OF THERE!!!

Last edited:
If there's anyway to leave the boat and get to a hotel, do it. The forecast Tom and I were watching had the worst of the surge coming right to you.

Be safe, take all necessary precautions. We all want to hear from you when it's all over.

This thread makes me more appreciative of the Wet Coast. Our only worries are dodging the occasional tsunami - like last night. Be well guys - I can completely understand wanting to be onboard to deal with whatever disaster arises. The naysayers will claim you are potentially putting 1st responders lives at risk - to me it seems like you are living your life to the max. Good luck for the next couple of nights.

This thread makes me more appreciative of the Wet Coast. Our only worries are dodging the occasional tsunami - like last night. Be well guys - I can completely understand wanting to be onboard to deal with whatever disaster arises. The naysayers will claim you are potentially putting 1st responders lives at risk - to me it seems like you are living your life to the max. Good luck for the next couple of nights.

Ditto :thumb:

Daddyo, the advice to get off the boat is good. You've done all you can to secure her. If something goes wrong at the height of the flow or blow, you won't be able to really do anything positive anyway. So best get to a safe place on land, and make sure the insurance is all kosher...
Boats can handle a lot of ill treatment and still be repairable anyway, the people in them, not always so much.
All the best anyway.

Daddyo, There's probably no one on the forum with more experience riding out hurricanes than you! I remember following your adventure last year and hope your experiences this year are as successful as 2011.

Please keep us posted if possible. Hang in there, be safe and Godspeed!

This sucks too:
Hurricane Sandy forces HMS Bounty evacuation

Update:

The crew is safe and accounted for. They have abandoned ship. They are in their sea survival suits and in a life boat. A Coast Guard cutter is racing to pick them up.
The coast guard plane has heat sensing ability and has scanned the Bounty for any people on it...There is no one one on the ship.
Again...ALL the crew is safe and in a lifeboat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone! Just a quick update. Anchor is holding very well. Winds are sustained in the 40s with gust I assume to be 60-80. The peak will be tonight from 4-8:00. Rain has been surprisingly light so far but is expected to pickup now. All crew is in good spirits and very comfortable with our decision to stay on. On another note we just two weeks ago were looking at the Bounty on the hard at Boothbay, ME where she left just after we did. I can't believe that idiot tried to skirt Hatteras in this!!!!! I hope charges are filed if this is at it appears.

If you would like to see our current position we are transmitting an AIS signal which you can view on marinetraffic.com. Enter under the vessel search box "grace" or zoom into Northport, NY.

If you would like to see our current position we are transmitting an AIS signal which you can view on marinetraffic.com. Enter under the vessel search box "grace" or zoom into Northport, NY.

I got you at

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

73.35 40.91

Looks to be some what protected at least the on the west side on a secluded bay. My prayers are with your family and you.

Last edited:
Daddyo, it looks like you really found a snug place. Are other boats anchored around you?

No boats around us. Unfortunately I am participating in the relaying of communications between the Coast Guard and a 46' raised pilothouse trawler that has broken off his mooring and is up against a seawall just behind me across the bay. He is hard aground and the waves are pounding him. He has stabilizers and fears a hull puncture. The USCG can't/won't pull him off and none of the towing operations can get to him. Very sad situation. I can't risk trying to pull him in thee conditions without seriously risking all souls on our vessel.

Daddyo - Sandy is my fifth time around the dance floor. I've done the best I can for the boat every time and that means--to me--being here to watch for chafe, ease snubbers, check lashings, and let my girl know I love her.

Do you have a wind instrument or are you using nearby reporting for wind speed? Here on the Chesapeake Bay Thomas Point Light is showing 25-30 kts with gusts a bit under 40. I'm not seeing anything like that in the Creek where I am. I'm seeing 15 to 25 (mostly below 20) with the odd gust to 30(ish), measured 65' up.

The difference between 20 and 25 is substantial.

Best of luck to you.

There is an AIS signal for the Princess Chloe. She looks as if she may be against a seawall. Also a signal for the Lunasea across the harbor.

I can NEVER get that ship finder to populate any ships and I don't know why. Boooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom