Old 10-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #58
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you think you have a problem..read up on the latest from the industry (have to search quite a bit)...I would link them to you but after finishing my bottom they got deleted.

Also search fiberglass tank/piping articles on hydrolysis and blistering...very informative.

Much that has been posted here is NOT what the most experienced in the marine field concur with. The prevailing thought is smattered about but only a little in every post...I wouldn't dare call it the truth but it's what makes sense to me from over a year's indepth research on it involving daily searching/reading plus dozens of interviews and phone calls.
I understand your expertise, however, there is more to it than us just finding the solution that you feel is right (seeing that you have not offered it up and just tell us to go find it), it's that we trust a) the majority decision from others that have had the same experience and b) the opinion of the experts in the yard.

There are some systems I need to become an expert on because I will be doing regular repairs on them and there are others that I do not. That doesn't mean I go into it blindly, but it does mean that I have a little faith in the chosen experts.

We have weighed our options. This boat does not need to last another 30 years, nor do I believe that any solution is permanent. We have a rough looking bottom and need to clean it up. For many years, grinding out and filling with resin has proven to be an adequate solution. I think that by now, if there were widespread issues, the industry would not still be offering it. This is the right solution at the right price for us.

I appreciate your input, Scott.

Tom-