Too much electronics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Advice we were given a long time ago by a long-time boater and shipwright was "Never replace anything on a boat unless it's broken or doesn't do what you need it to do anymore."

We've found it to be a very sensible and cost-effective policy. Better, in our minds, to put several hundred dollars worth of fuel in the boat and then use it than put the same amount of money into a new radio just to get some new bells and whistles when the old radio does everything we need it to do just fine.

Motoring up and down a river in daylight is called "pilotage." A paper chart and one eyeball is all you need for that.

Not necessarily so. For instance, the lower reaches of the Napa River are very broad, and only the narrow, curving natural channel is navigable. And even if there are navigation markers, straight-lining between markers can get one aground. With constant attention to depthometer and electronic charts/GPS, it can be navigated without local knowledge.

232323232%7Ffp63566%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A33697336nu0mrj

Last edited by a moderator:
Pilotage is far more than "straight-lining."

Do you think river and coastal navigation was only made possible by "constant attention to depthometer and electronic charts/GPS ...?"

Pilotage is far more than "straight-lining."

On thw A-ICW its running from marker to marker , some are so close together not hitting them is the challenge.

Mark

Post 34 shows the CA style hazards of boating in 6' seas with squalls apparent on the horizon. I assume you had your radar as well as chart plottter on when in those horrible storm strewn waters. I await your pictures of Coot scooting up the coast to the PNW.

As a wee lad I used ot boat in SF Bay. It was the worst water I'd ever seen (only water too at that point!), until I went under the Golden Gate towards the Farralon Is.

Sunchaser, during my 1960s sailboating days we'd annually go to the Lightship, about half way to the Farallon Islands, with only chart, tide tables, binoculars, and compass. It was always rough, visibility was often limited, and I always got seasick.

It's more benign in the Bay although the chop can get nasty. Storms here are usually mild. Bay waters are often calm during rain storms, but are rough on clear yet windy days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom