Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #53
BruceK
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post
So, how much did you gain? 1/2 knot? A whole knot?

The sandblasting, blister repair, barrier coat and paint is just....(cough cough) $3500.00. As opposed to a full peel at 8-10k. I think we'll go for it. The two boats that we saw at the yard that were done this way looked great! really great. I think that not only will the money be well spent for our own maintenance, but when it is time to sell her, it can only help. Maybe not in price, but perhaps in a quicker sale.
On Sydney prices $3.5K sounds cheap. The soda blast we did not do would have been $2.3K.
Don`t knock a well faired hull. It was faster,maybe half a knot,over the usual gain from fresh a/f. We stripped thick old flaky lifting a/f on a sailboat I raced, it went from uncompetitive to competitive.It`s a bonus, you already see the need for the work. Osmosis is so common, selling with a treated hull, (verifiable on survey),is a plus. We started pre purchase survey told the osmosis had been fixed, it had not, that and other things cost the seller $20K in renegotiation (and almost cost him the sale). BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote