Perkins t6.3544 or Ford Lehman 265 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
Anyone know about these engines. Looking at 2 trawlers, one with a single Perkins and another with Ford Lehman. Thoughts on reliability? Thanks!

The same.

I've had both. They will run forever if maintained.

I had a single Perkins T6354 (turbo with aftercooler) said to put out 175hp, in a previous boat. Utterly reliable during my ownership,and it had done many (unrecorded)hours in the hands of a large Sydney sailing club (CYCA). Parts,at least for the turbo itself, were an issue, a new cover for the turbo had to be fabricated out of s/steel locally.
My present boat has Ford Lehmans, non turbo 2715E models, 6220cc, producing 120hp. Some later versions produce 135hp.
The Lehman engine book I got with the boat also lists a turbo 363 cu/in or 5950cc model 2704-ET/6D363T producing 150 hp @2400rpm, but not the 265hp version you identify. Assuming that version, coming later, uses a similar size block to produce the extra hp, it must have been heavily tweaked to do so.Whether that affects reliability other Forum users will soon tell you, but Lehmans in general are big heavy engines with a reputation for longevity,at least in non turbo form. BruceK

I've had both in commercial fishing boats and currently have twin Perkins 6.354's in a Californian trawler.

They really are a perfect engine for a 8 - 10 knot trawler, not that some of the newer engines aren't good too. But they are simple to maintain, nothing the average guy can't do with a little knowledge and they are normally bullet proof. If maintained properly in a pleasure craft, they will outlive all of us.

Just remember you are buying an older used boat and you have no control over how the previous owner maintained the boat. Have the hull surveyed and engines surveyed by a qualified diesel mechanic.

Larry B

Thanks everyone, reasssuring to hear. On our way for another road trip....I think this puts us up to 4,000 or so miles. Will get more specs on the Lehman, it definitely states 265 hp. no turbo. Hoping one of these is "the one"! We are new to TF. It has been a fantastic resource for us as we search.

I strongly suspect that the 265 hp figure is a misprint. Non turbocharged Lehmans were built for 120 and 135 hp. 265 is impossible without a turbo and even at that the Lehman whouldn't hang together long at that power and the rpm required to produce it.

I believe--- but I could be wrong--- that Lehman marinized other engines than those made by Ford of England. While I cannot remember the base engine(s) involved, I know I have seen references to Lehman-marinized engines in the high 200 and even 300 horsepower ranges. I even think one or more of them were V-8s but again, I could be misremembering this.

Ford made a version of the Dorset engine (base engine for the FL120) that was turbocharged. As such it developed about 150 hp. The specs for this engine are given in our Ford Lehman operator's manual along with the specs for the 90hp 4-cylinder version of the Dorset. But while I have heard of plenty of boats equipped with the 90 hp Ford Lehman diesel I have never read about a boat with the turbocharged version of the 120 hp engine in it.

I do not know if Ford of England made a turbocharged version of the Dover engine, base engine for the FL135, or if they did if Lehman offered a marinized version of it. However if they did, I would imagine the horsepower of the engine was still less than 200.

Thanks everyone... Will get more specs on the Lehman, it definitely states 265 hp. no turbo. Hoping one of these is "the one"! We are new to TF.
Marin may be right, a 265hp normally aspirated Lehman engine is unlikely to be based on the 120/135 hp Ford engines we are familiar with. I suggest you ask American Diesel, the effective successors to Lehman.BruceK

We have the turboed Perkins as in the boat you're looking at. Two if them. :) love our girls. Yeah two is way too much power for 8-9 knots cruising speed. :)
Really comes down to maintenance. Just had a new mechanic look at them and he admitted dreading looking at 28 year old Perkins motors and was relieved when he saw how well maintained they were. Absolutely no issues w them and all he did was change the port impeller we couldn't reach to do ourselves. As w most things on these vintage boats, a lot (all?) comes down to do how the boat was maintained.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom