Vinyl Lettering Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't own a heat gun, don't have a need to purchase one, and the hair dryer worked fine to remove the decals. Just thought others might want to know it is a viable alternative.

Don't forget shrinking the insulation on electrical connectors.

This is the best tool I have ever used for heat shrink. The little curved attachment directs the heat completely around the wire and does a perfect job in seconds with no risk to surrounding wire or other components.

I recently started building some fuel management devices that use multiple heat shrink applications and this thing paid for itself the first day by eliminating rework and poor quality from overheated insulation and collateral damage.

Attachments

• ut-100sii.jpg
    ut-100sii.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 82
Here is another funny one about lettering of a sort.

The front window on my boat had a for sale sign against the glass for so long that the for sale is burned into the plastic between the layers of glass. You can only see it when the windows fog up.

She is for sale only in the fog.

Like ghost writing.

SD

Christopher Robin and Pooh...CR is a character in the Pooh stories by A.A. Milne..one of Pooh's best friends. Previous owner must have been a fan..

I don't own a heat gun, don't have a need to purchase one, and the hair dryer worked fine to remove the decals. Just thought others might want to know it is a viable alternative.

Yes, I suppose it is a "viable alternative". Just like using a pair of pliers on a bolt head is a "viable alternative".

You can purchase a heat gun from Harbor Freight for about $8 if you wait for a sale so cost shouldn't be a factor.

The benefit of a true heat gun is that the heat comes up much faster and is much more localized. You can heat the vinyl itself without transferring much heat to the gelcoat beneath.

A hair dryer will work, but is not near as easy as a heat gun. I have used both and removed dozens of vinyl graphics over the years.

This past summer I took off a huge decal using hair dryer and acetone. The acetone was purchased from a hair supply store. Stronger than regular nail polish remover and very inexpensive! Worked like a charm. The design came off completely with no residue!
Don
Take It E-Sea

If you never have to do any wiring you do not need a heat gun.

I guess you can always use a cigarette lighter on wire splices.

Just looks ugly and unprofessional.

sd

This past summer I took off a huge decal using hair dryer and acetone. The acetone was purchased from a hair supply store. Stronger than regular nail polish remover and very inexpensive! Worked like a charm. The design came off completely with no residue!
Don
Take It E-Sea

You can buy acetone at any paint store or home center. No need to go to a beauty supply store. You can get it at West Marine also, but the price will be higher.

I own a heat gun but the day I decided to remove my vinyl lettering the heat gun was at home and the hair dryer was on the boat. Why I have no idea as I never blow dry my hair but ANYWAY it worked just fine and I had the old name and hailing port removed easily and in short order. Maybe if you are dealing with stubborn stuck on vinyl the heat gun would work better / faster but the hair dryer worked out just peachy for me. And I did not need to use any chemicals. Really it was ridiculously easy to get off. I guess I got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom