Water Tanks - Aft Cabin - Storage Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
While trying to learn the systems on my new-to-me boat, I started out by tracing down the water system. There were only 2 small cut-outs on the bed plywood in the aft cabin. I could almost see the connection points of the hoses to the water tanks using a mirror but there was no real access to them so I cut a few more openings for future servicing.
Anyway, I noticed a decent amount of storage space under the bunk. There was some dust, but not much at all. Everything was bone dry. Does this area ever get wet or damp or does it always stay dry. Surely I can find lightweight stuff to store down there other than spare hoses.
What do you guys do with your space under the Aft Bunk adjacent to the water tanks?

Our boat's two 85 gallon water tanks are in the lazarette. There are two large drawers under the queen berth in the aft cabin. But recently while doing a sanitation plumbing overhaul we discovered a storage compartment under the berth aft of the two drawers. It has a raised floor so that items in this space will not be sitting directly on the hull. The only drawback is that to get to it you have to lift up the mattress which in a queen size is not light, as well as the mattress support panels that cover the space.. But for items that only get used seasonally this space could work well.

The concern with putting stuff right on the hull is that while this surface might be bone dry now, there are times it might not be due to rainwater or spray running forward from the lazarette or whatever. Also it can be beneficial to have air circulation around the stuff in the space.

If you are convinced this space in your boat will never get wet inside you mght consider at least lining the bottom of the space with something that will promote air circulation.

Last edited:
While trying to learn the systems on my new-to-me boat, I started out by tracing down the water system. There were only 2 small cut-outs on the bed plywood in the aft cabin. I could almost see the connection points of the hoses to the water tanks using a mirror but there was no real access to them so I cut a few more openings for future servicing.
Anyway, I noticed a decent amount of storage space under the bunk. There was some dust, but not much at all. Everything was bone dry. Does this area ever get wet or damp or does it always stay dry. Surely I can find lightweight stuff to store down there other than spare hoses.
What do you guys do with your space under the Aft Bunk adjacent to the water tanks?
We have 100 gallon water tank beneath the queen bunk and two 100 gallon tanks up front. Like Marin, we have access to the tank and the additional storage. This also gives me access to the steer cylinder and port rudder support. I will try to get a couple of pictures this weekend.

On our last boat, we used vacuum storage bags to seal and store items all over the boat. That way, we didn't worry too much about dampness in storage areas.

Thanks guys.
FWIW, my tanks are mounted on a plywood base and not directly on the fiberglass so it should probably stay dry.
Last week, just before I came back to work, I bought a bunch of plactic boxes with lids and will fill them with 'stuff'.

On our last boat, we used vacuum storage bags to seal and store items all over the boat. That way, we didn't worry too much about dampness in storage areas.
I just bought some of those also. I just haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom