Popping out a window for reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeus

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Runaway
Vessel Make
42 Bertram Convertible
Hi Folks, new member here. I have tried search for this topic and perhaps I am not doing it right. Anyway, I have a Marine Trader 47' CPMY and I need to remove and reseal a fixed (non-slider) window. Does anyone have a how-to on such a procedure? Thank you in advance.

Matt

**I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum

Last edited:
if it's the built in wood kind like I see on many Taiwan trawlers...good luck..

I know a lot here have done it so I'll defer to them...

I just replaced all 16 windows in my trawler and broke every single window because the way they were caulked....plus the shattered glass went everywhere in tiny flakes.

Thanks for the reply. They appear to be all metal frames on the outside and the interior side looks to be teak frames for display only. It would "appear" the whole thing can be done from the outside.

Hi Folks, new member here. I have tried search for this topic and perhaps I am not doing it right. Anyway, I have a Marine Trader 47' CPMY and I need to remove and reseal a fixed (non-slider) window. Does anyone have a how-to on such a procedure? Thank you in advance.

Matt

**I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong forum

I replaced the glass in the salon windows. I used several flexible putty knifes that slip/cut under the out side frame working them back and forth along the frame. Take you time and not to much pressure/brute strength

I tried one of the vibrating sanders that has a knife adaptor that moves back and forth, but I found the flexible putty knife worked better.

...I used several flexible putty knifes that slip/cut under the out side frame working them back and forth along the frame. Take you time and not to much pressure/brute strength.

This is how we did it when we removed and re-bedded the windows in the pilot house. And Phil's right, take your time. We cracked one frame being in a hurry.

There is a wonderful device called a rotary deglazing tool. It is in essence a razor-sharp pizza cutter with the wheel at right angles to the handle. We were clued in to this tool years ago by a shipwright and it has made the job of removing window frames a zillion times easier than using putty knives, paint scrapers, etc. You do have to protect the wood or fiberglass surface adjacent to the frame so the tool won't mark it. But where it could take hours to remove a stubborn frame without breaking it this tool has turned that job into minutes (most of the time).

While our boat has built-up windows this tool should work to cut through the bedding or seal behind a one-piece, metal framed window.

Thanks for the reply. They appear to be all metal frames on the outside and the interior side looks to be teak frames for display only. It would "appear" the whole thing can be done from the outside.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Your comments that the frame is aluminum with decorative trim on the inside would lead me to believe that the frames may have an interior aluminum component which is covered by the teak.

Be carefull here. If you just start prying without a bit more investigation you may damage the frame. If there are no mounting screws on the outside then the screws may be inside covered by the teak.

Most/many aluminum frames are compression mounted meaning the inside frame has a whole mess of screws around the perimeter that grab the outside frame and pull it tight and compress a gasket or caulk between the outside frame and the cabin sidewall. Be sure which you have.

Back
Top Bottom