shipping trawler from seattle to new zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like it or not, today we ALL live in a global market, and if we want to compete and sell our products, whatever those products may be, we need to price the product to compete in the global market...Specially when we advertise the product on the Internet where a buyer from anywhere in the world MAY end-up being the buyer of your product.

Or am I getting this all wrong :confused:

Bill
Australia

Right on, Bill! I have been in the same boat. I remember working with boat brokers in the late '90s trying to get them to utilize the "world wide web", but most of them - just like you found - thought the internet was a fad and that "Nothing would ever replace the BUC guide". I always thought those were the same people who were the last to get a fax machine ("I don't have a need for one") and are now the dying breed that thinks everyone still faxes... Now I'm trying to get the same boat brokers to utilize quality video production for their higher end listings. My argument is, though a video may or may not immediately result in the sale of a particular boat, having such well-produced videos will help to increase that brokers listings. But, that's for another thread...

And I don't mind longish posts, provided they are intelligently written. I can usually tell within the first few sentences or paragraphs whether or not it's worth my time to continue reading. Suffice to say, I did read your entire post.

You might want to look at going north to Alaska, follow then Aleutian Islands across to South Korea/Japan and down Asian coast.

Geez P/F, have you ever made that trip?

It is hardly a casual cruise down the ICW.

Bill
The other thing i did not say was that the boat price for an older boat, assuming the hull is basically sound, is in large part related to the systems: extent, quality and condition.

If you want cheap boat then you will want simple systems that are self-repairable, and not more than the bare minimum of them. Boat $$ get eaten real fast in dealing with extensive and complicated systems.

You might want to look at going north to Alaska, follow then Aleutian Islands across to South Korea/Japan and down Asian coast. At least you would not have an ocean crossing. The other is going south to Chile to Easter Island then to Polynesia Islands as the distance is shorter. Probable cheaper shipping south of the board than in the US. As I mentioned before there are a lot of used/older vehicle and boats being shipped out of the US.
Thanks for the Northern tip Phil but I think I would stick to the South Pacafic mate ;)

Right on, Bill! I have been in the same boat. I remember working with boat brokers in the late '90s trying to get them to utilize the "world wide web", but most of them - just like you found - thought the internet was a fad and that "Nothing would ever replace the BUC guide". I always thought those were the same people who were the last to get a fax machine ("I don't have a need for one") and are now the dying breed that thinks everyone still faxes... Now I'm trying to get the same boat brokers to utilize quality video production for their higher end listings. My argument is, though a video may or may not immediately result in the sale of a particular boat, having such well-produced videos will help to increase that brokers listings. But, that's for another thread...

And I don't mind longish posts, provided they are intelligently written. I can usually tell within the first few sentences or paragraphs whether or not it's worth my time to continue reading. Suffice to say, I did read your entire post.
G'day MF, I wish you all the luck in the world in your video productions for other businesses...Been there too, about ten or more years back, spent thousands on the special software and camera gear, all a waste of time and money so I packed everything in, sold-up and retired. I had had enough of :banghead: to last me a lifetime. Now I just want to go cruising and fishing...Besides, I'm old enough to do that now :thumb:

Good luck with things,

Bill
Australia

New V Old

Bill
The other thing i did not say was that the boat price for an older boat, assuming the hull is basically sound, is in large part related to the systems: extent, quality and condition.

If you want cheap boat then you will want simple systems that are self-repairable, and not more than the bare minimum of them. Boat $$ get eaten real fast in dealing with extensive and complicated systems.
I hear you mate. Being a retired merchant seaman (engineering) and holder of a inshore skippers ticket, and having worked on repairing OP boats all over the world, and having operated my own 35 and 45' fishing boats (trawlers...I bought both those timber boats second hand, no surveyor involved) I believe I should be able to make a sensible judgement on a second hand boat and it's engine-room gear but as I'm no expert, I'm not shy when it comes to seeking advice from others who could well know more than I on any subject :)

Bill
Australia

Geez P/F, have you ever made that trip?

It is hardly a casual cruise down the ICW.

No! But born and grew up around Ocean falls, have visited several relatives in that area. If I was going to head straight north, I would follow the commercial trawlers as they go in groups.

There was a old member of PMM, Pope Thomas, which we became friend with. Seemingly very unlike match, but opposites do attract. Anyway he bought a used Diesel duck in Japan and was going to bring her back using the northern rout. In the end he decided to ship to the west coast and take it though the Panama Canal to Florida.

What ever route it will take a capable long range boat and not for the faint of heart. Crossing an ocean does not appeal to me, but heading up to Alaska is sort of in our plans. At least you could hop from harbor/town with a couple hundred miles in between rather than thousands.

G'day mates,

I apologise in advance for this long/ish post.
I have been asked on another forum "Why do you look at buying a boat in the States? You would be better of to buy where you plan on cruising...Australia or New Zealand"
And I guess that's true...To a point. The truth is, to many Australian and New Zealand boat sellers "believe wrongly" they have a closed market. They believe, wrongly, that Australians and New Zealanders looking to buy a boat can only buy in AU or NZ.

It's the same with a lot of other retailers here in AU...They believe, wrongly, that they have a protected market, buyers who need a product must buy from them! Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Back in 1996-98 I was trying to get local Australian businesses to get into online marketing of their business but I did not succeed. Every one of the businesses I talked with believed, wrongly, and told me...Computers and this Internet thing is just a fad and will soon die-off. Boy! Were they ever wrong!
Today those same businesses are blaming everything but themselves, for their drop in sales, in-shop clients and income. Some are closing branches and some are even blaming business failures on...The Internet! Or rather, people doing their shopping on the Internet!
I have been shopping online since around 1995, I have bought from China, the UK, Canada and the States and in all that I have bought online, I had only three complaints about a product, all three complaints were promptly dealt with and I was a happy shopper.
The last thing I bought on-line was a Master Cylinder for my LR Discovery. The Aussie suppliers were asking from $350 to $397 for the unit. I ordered one on-line from a LR supplier in the UK for a total cost, postage included of...$136 :blush:

Why do Aus' and Kiwi boat sellers still believe they have a captured market? Don't they know buyers can find a better deal elsewhere, like in the States.

With this 1974 Australian Ferro Cement Coastal Cruiser, the seller is asking AU $87,000

With this 1967 American Fibreglass Coastal Cruiser, the seller is asking US $49,900

Which would be the better buy? I believe the American boat, with her newer FULL drive-train, even after adding an extra 30% cost for importing the boat from the States. $49,900US + 30% = $64,870US = $ 62,892AU. So even if you paid the full asking price and 30% for importing the American boat, you would still save $24,108AU

Like it or not, today we ALL live in a global market, and if we want to compete and sell our products, whatever those products may be, we need to price the product to compete in the global market...Specially when we advertise the product on the Internet where a buyer from anywhere in the world MAY end-up being the buyer of your product.

Or am I getting this all wrong :confused:

Bill
Australia

Wow sounds like Alaska before Wal-Mart, Lowes and target......100%-200% markup!

No! But born and grew up around Ocean falls, have visited several relatives in that area. If I was going to head straight north, I would follow the commercial trawlers as they go in groups.

Ocean Falls! Now there's a name I havn't heard for many years, my Dad also lived in Ocean Falls, BC, back in the 20's-30's...I can still recall the many stories he told me about logging, hunting and fishing around Ocean Falls, he made Ocean Falls sound like Heaven.
There was a old member of PMM, Pope Thomas, which we became friend with. Seemingly very unlike match, but opposites do attract. Anyway he bought a used Diesel duck in Japan and was going to bring her back using the northern rout. In the end he decided to ship to the west coast and take it though the Panama Canal to Florida.

What ever route it will take a capable long range boat and not for the faint of heart. Crossing an ocean does not appeal to me, but heading up to Alaska is sort of in our plans. At least you could hop from harbor/town with a couple hundred miles in between rather than thousands.
The northern rout, with harbors/towns being a couple hundred miles in between plus a large commercial trawlers fleet, sound better than the southern route with thousands of miles between ports, sound much more feasable to me...Please tell me more about the northern route Phill :)

Bill
Australia

"... going north to Alaska, follow then Aleutian Islands across to South Korea/Japan and down Asian coast."

Please tell me more about the northern route Phill

Yeah, I want to read that post too ...

I am pretty sure we can at least reach Dutch Harbor by following the commercial trawlers. After that I don’t know what is involved entering foreign waters/visas etc. I know Tom did some investigating and he did not seem too concerned. The really reason he did not is he could not get a crew that he felt confident in. What got him excited was going north to Alaska, so I was surprised he did not head north before taking the boat to Florida and the Great Loop. I think Coral had a big say in it! He called several time to see if we want to help crew. I know Tom would jump at the chance to help crew if we head to Alaska.

The unknown is what is required after Dutch Harbor and Foreign Visas/documentation. As mentioned before we moor on the Everett Commercial dock, and they have offered to help crew the Eagle if we want to tag along. So we could at least get up to Anchorage/Dutch harbor, but we plan on taking several years to get there. So we have several options and capable people willing to help WEAN me way from the dock. :D

North V South

Thanks Phil, from your posts I thought you had already planned the Northern route or even been on a voyage to Japan or SE Asia via that route.
IF I do buy any boat in the States, I will stick with cruising the boat back to AU via the Southern route rather than the Northern route, or, I will have the boat transported aboard a ship from the USA to wherever :)
If I were to cruise the boat from the USA to wherever, and if I were to become stuck en-route, I know myself well enough to know I would much rather be stuck on some tropical island, like Tahiti, than I would being stuck in Dutch Harbour, or on some island up in the Bearing Sea...Where it would be much to cold for this old Ozzie, I prefer the girls serving my long cold drinks to be in grass-skirts, and little else, rather than covered all over in bearskins/seal-skins ;)

Cheers mate, :thumb:

Bill
Australia

Kando, While wishing you well on your Pacific crossing, whether your drinks are served by girls in grass skirts or girls in skins borrowed from seals or bears may be the least of your worries. BruceK
(Note to PM Julia Gillard and friends: nothing sexist/misogynistic/Abbott like intended in the above.)

Kando, While wishing you well on your Pacific crossing, whether your drinks are served by girls in grass skirts or girls in skins borrowed from seals or bears may be the least of your worries. BruceK
(Note to PM Julia Gillard and friends: nothing sexist/misogynistic/Abbott like intended in the above.)
G'day Bruce,

That Pacific cruise is not set in stone, I did say:
I will stick with cruising the boat back to AU via the Southern route rather than the Northern route, or, "I will have the boat transported aboard a ship from the USA to wherever" :)
I then went on to say:
if I were to become stuck en-route, I know myself well enough to know I would much rather be stuck on some tropical island, like Tahiti, than I would being stuck in Dutch Harbour, or on some island up in the Bearing Sea...Well, wouldn't too you Bruce :D

Cheers Bruce :thumb:

Bill
Australia

Back
Top Bottom