Thread: Fly bridge?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #50
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Okay, here is a totally unscientific observation based on our own encounters with other boaters.

In every case I can recall where another boater did something stupid or unsafe---- passing us close aboard on a plowing plane with a giant wake, not giving way when they should, blasting at maximum plow through groups of fishermen in open boats, totally screwing up a docking in a marina to the point where (in one case at Friday Harbor) another boater actually boarded their boat and took over the helm, and a myriad of other inconsiderate or ignorant incidents---- in every case I can recall the boat was being driven from the flying bridge with it's "unlimited" visibility. In some cases I can recall the fellow at the helm had his head totally buried in his electronics (I assume) and never once looked up as he plowed past nearby boats.

But....... virtually every powerboater I know personally who is competent, courteous, knowledgeable, considerate, aware of the Colregs, and experienced drives from the lower helm or a pilothouse if their boat has one.

As I said, totally unscientific and based only on our observation and experience in these waters. But to us (and to a number of our friends, power and sail) a guy sitting stolidly on his flying bridge oblivious of everything around him is the poster image of a bad boater.

I have no scientific or psychological explanation for this. It's simply been our observation in all the years we've been fishing and cruising these waters. Your observations may vary.

The absolute classic occurred back in the early 1990s. We were fishing in our Arima off the east side of Whidbey Island. The channel between Whidbey and the mainland at Mukilteo is about a mile and a half wide. Suddenly, or so it seemed, the entire channel was full of Orcas. Apparently the two summer resident pods, perhaps even three, had joined up and were headed slowly north through the channel. There were Orcas everywhere from shore to shore and they put on quite a show. We were about mid-channel and we stopped to watch, as did virtually every other boat in the area from small open fishing boats to passing sailboats and cruisers. A few of the Orcas came right alongside our boat, even stopping and half-rolling to look at us.

And then from the south tip of Whidbey at Possession Point here comes some sort of big cruiser. I'm not going to say it was a Bayliner because I don't remember. But it was that type of boat. Probably 45 feet long or so. Plowing along putting out an enormous wake. The skipper was seated at the flying bridge helm looking straight ahead. And he headed directly through the multiple pods of Orcas and the boats.

Now the Orcas were in no danger--- they have no problem avoiding boats. But a lot of boaters yelled at this guy as he plowed through in an unwavering line. Some of them were pointing out the Orcas as in, "Hey, look at the neat whales!" Others were screaming at him to slow down because of his wake. And the radio lit up like a Roman candle with cursing.

And this guy looked neither right nor left nor did he change his speed or course one iota. He was driving the boat himself--- we could see his hands on the wheel. He passed close enough to us that we could hear the radio on his flying bridge broadcasting the cursing and requests to slow down. And he was totally oblivious.

Now, was his behavior somehow linked to the fact he drove his boat from the flying bridge? I dunno. He was probably an ******* in his car, too. But that is the image we have carried ever since of "flybridge drivers." And it's surprising how often that image has been reinforced over the years.

So Mark, you stick to your pilothouse boat. You're in good company.