Tachs for Perkins 4-236

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stu-L

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Great Escape
Vessel Make
1981 Californian
I have a 1981 Californian that has Perkins 4-236's. I have a tach that is not working and need a replacement. The sending unit is on the front of the engine. Any one know of a replacement that can be used.

Attached is a picture of the current Tach.

Attachments

• DSC00350.jpg
    DSC00350.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 131
Mine use Teleflex HD tachs, they pick up at the alternators. I've had a few issues with them over the years, though they are economical I'm not sure I would recommend them.

That tiny tach is pretty cool.

The Teleflex HD tachs that pick up off the alt work better now they are tuneable to correct for pully sizes, also S/W makes one of the same . Down side the S/W is a 4 inch gauge.

Are you still looking for new Tachs? I just replaced my Stewart Wagner (SW) tachs with ISSPRO programmable ones. I could not find a tach that was compatible with the SW signal generator. I have two tachs and signal generators that still work if you are interested in purchasing them. My tachs on the fly bridge were not working so I ended up replacing all 4 along with the two engine signal generators. The lower helm tachs and generators were working fine.

My Californian also has the small SW gauges; not tachs tho' I broke an oil temp sender; could not find anything for SW anywhere. Finally, by luck, found a place in WI that seems to handle SW stuff. No guarantees at all, but try 262-781-4353, ask for Jeff & explain your issue. Good luck

Are you still looking for new Tachs? I just replaced my Stewart Wagner (SW) tachs with ISSPRO programmable ones. I could not find a tach that was compatible with the SW signal generator. I have two tachs and signal generators that still work if you are interested in purchasing them. My tachs on the fly bridge were not working so I ended up replacing all 4 along with the two engine signal generators. The lower helm tachs and generators were working fine.

TXCruiser, I might be interested in your SW Tachs and SGs. Mine are alternator driven and have proven unreliable at times of low alternator output. I'm wondering about compatibility on my twin Perkins 4.236's. What engines do you have?

If you'd rather talk via phone, PM me with your ph no and I'll call.

Thanks!!

Yes, I would be interested in purchasing your tachs and senders. My email is
slig5572@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom