Thread: Hurricane Ike
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
dougd1
Moderator Emeritus

RE: Hurricane Ike

I saw many boats that were damaged beyond repair, at least for what they were worth.* I'm sure it is in the hundreds.* Some marinas were almost untouched.* Legend Point and Waterford Harbor are two that I saw with very little boat/dock damage.

I spoke with an employee in the office at Watergate Marina and she said that she fielded dozens of calls from folks looking for space.* Most were looking for floating docks under 40 feet.* It seems like most of the survivors were smaller boats in marinas like Houston Yacht Club which was pretty much destroyed from what I'm hearing.* I do know that most of the 50' plus crowd at Lakewood Yacht Club received major damage.* It is my personal opinion that some of these marinas just don't have the docks to handle boats of this size.

My wife and I helped some friends remove their belongings from the second floor of their house in San Leon (6 miles SE of Kemah).* Some surveyors from the Harris County flood district (even though San Leon is in Galveston Co.) came into the home while we were there.* They took some measurements and determined that the water was about 6' 2" high inside of the home that had a ground floor elevation of 8'.* Over 14' of water in that area of homes.* Many homes were completely destroyed.

When I asked if they would rebuild on pilings they responded that they will not be building again at that location.* It was just too devastating for them.* Very sad.* Their home was originally built in the 1950's and you can't build anything that low anymore.

From what I am hearing the Beaumont/Port Arthur/Orange area also received very dangerous surge.* Has anyone heard any reports on the marinas over there?

DD
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote