What is best of the 70's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwajdiver

Veteran Member
I'm brand new to the forum and have lots of questions. However, I won't ask them all tonight.

What was the best trawler of the 1970, for blue water and long distance?
The reason I ask, is that's about all my budget can afford.

The second part of the question, which of those boats have kept their value, and have the least amount of problems.

I realize this is a loaded question, but I must start somewhere.

Thank you in advance,

Bill
Kwajalein Atoll

"What was the best trawler of the 1970, for blue water and long distance?"

A one OFF custom build in a specialized yard that understands the requirements of an offshore boat.

It will probably be steel , and probably have been custom built in Europe .

Look there if a blue (not brown) water vessel is your desire.

AS these are rare if you require long 2500nm+ range they may be larger than you hoped for.50+ ft.

Abaking & Rassmusen (SP!) would be one builder, not a TT.

The style boat you desire has been built for decades , most any quality post WWII build that can pass survey should be considered.

Last edited:
There are still a few around, but you have to search. Actually a sail boat might be better and cheaper. Most were build by and or commercial design/ties. The pleasure name brand that come to mind are Delta, origian 62Nordhaven. Krogan, 58Roughwater but most other are special one off or commercial converted to pleasure. We have a 70 ft steel commercial trawler being convert to pleasure on our dock right now.

I am sure others can name a few more.

If you can live with blisters, a Willard might fit your request. Do you plan on using this boat around Kwaj?

North Spy is well informed. Willards do have blisters but his "if you can live with" part is probably centered around the fact that most all Willards do have blisters but they are almost never deep enough to be a structural concern. Every year or two I have 20 to 50 little blisters that I grind out to about 1/8" deep some a bit more. I let them dry out some and apply some epoxy w a bit of glass matt. Sand lightly and top coat w new anti-foul. So for me and most other Willard owners the blisters are just an slightly bothersome annoyance. But if you see a Willard w 3" to 6" dia blisters ask the owner to grind them out to see how deep they are then get the advice of a FG man keeping in mind that many will be inclined to get a job stripping a boat. .. a very expensive operation. Most strip jobs I suspect are not necessary but one needs to keep in mind what someone has to gain from declaring your boat a disaster.
But re the Willard itself it's a fine boat w some undesirable features like plastic windows. Hard to imagine a better sea boat in all but beam seas and the 30' Willards have two tons of ballast so a capsize is extremely unlikely. They roll but almost all good sea boats do. I don't have any kind of stabilizers and feel the need so little I have no thoughts of getting any. But a lighter, flatter and shallower boat typical of most trawlers will be plenty seaworthy in semi-rough conditions and more comfortable than a full displacement boat. Most will burn almost twice as much fuel per ton as the FD boat but you'll find about 30 flatter bottomed semi-disp boats for every FD type. So all your other priorities can be much more easily met w a typical trawler like an Island Gypsy or CHB while shopping. And not to be overlooked you'll get considerably more space on board for the dollar w a typical trawler. And I'm sure that is why most trawlers aren't much different below the WL than most planing boats. And ther'e are more planing boats claiming to be a trawler than ther'e are full disp trawlers. But ther'e are many more typical trawlers because they are very good at what they do.
So unless you're an unusual chap like myself you're better off shopping for a well proven typical boat like a CHB and divert your attention to the boat's condition and layout or whatever is most important to you.
Willards are pricey. I know of one for sale now for 60K and I wouldn't take less than 40. The W40 is a monster compared to the 30 and the prices bottom out at about 100K and run to 400 or so I think. Somebody else should pick up the ball on the 40 but they are basically a larger boat (much larger) than a W30 and a bit more efficient.

Guys, thank you for all the information. Looks like I need to do a lot more research.

Yes, we intend to bring the boat to Kwaj. Shipping is just too $$$$$$. She will have to make it on her on bottom. We are looking for boat on the West Coast, Hawaii, and Guam. Haven't found much in Hawaii. My partner has found something of interest in Guam, but didn't tell me what (the tease) then flew to Japan.

The problem of course is the distance West Coast to Hawaii, 2100 miles, then Hawaii to Kwajalein, Marshall Islands, another 2400 miles, with one fuel stop a day out from Kwaj. Guam would be closer with fuel stops, of course, must of the year your trolling up hill to Kwaj.

Once the boat makes it to Kwaj, we would like to dive with it. Install a small compressor and a few tanks. Would be great if we could sleep 6-8.
I'm asking a lot on our limited funding. Hey, one can dream right?????

Bill

Eric--- Problem is that Bill says he's looking for a blue water, long distance cruiser. That pretty much rules out things like CHBs, GBs, etc. They're great coastal cruisers but having done a fair amount of "blue water" boating in Hawaii all through the 70s our GB is not a boat I would want in that environment at all. A Willard is a FAR better choice in my opinion although I don't know how they are for range.

If Bill can ship a boat to Kwajalein I think he'll have vastly more options in boats.

Last edited:
The problem, shipping will cost as much as the boat. Even to Hawaii or to Guam, it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I've been looking at Willards. Nice boat. Not very many of them out there.

Bill
Kwaj

4,500 miles of sea travel is a lot of $$$$ in fuel and cruising cost too. Outfitting the used boat to make the trip could set ya back a ways too. I hear ya on the shipping costs though loud and clear.

Have you considered a used commercial boat. You'd start out with more durable, higher grade equipment. Tendency toward greater tank capacity as well.

What are the pitfalls of temporary bladder tanks to extend the range of the boat for the hop? Considering of course the boat is otherwise capable of the voyage.

I'm asking a lot on our limited funding. Hey, one can dream right?????

Not really , from your desirements I think a motor sailor , with enough sail area would be perfect.

These were usually custom , so would be of higher quality than a a TT roomaran.

The down side to a motorsailor is like most sail boats you live IN the water rather than on the water.

The 3 story + fly bridge oxygen tent just doesnt work in a MS.

The good news is the systems aboard may be dated , but the boat WILL be built for blue water , and not a Dockside Power Hose lifestyle.

Easy to change out a dated noisemaker than reinforce the hull 300%.

So a Fisher motorsailor then...

But the thing is, he wants to use the boat as a dive boat and have a few guests on board as well.

If you've ever been to Kwaj, it has a massive lagoon. (I used to live in Guam, so I've done the old Continental milk run). I'm guessing that is where he will spend most of his time. The dichotomy here is to find a boat seaworthy enough to make it to Kwaj, and then act as a dive boat in a placid lagoon.

Neither a Fisher or a Willard would be that great of a dive boat. Maybe a Roughwater might be a candidate. There was a guy (Dave Cooper)on the T&T list who took his Roughwater (albeit a 57) to Hawaii.

Anyone who has spent any time on the Pacific knows that a lot of this is really making sure that the boat mechanicals are up to snuff and picking the weather window and route wisely.

Last edited:
If the freight's too great and the distance is too far better start think'in about building .... By whomever.

Welcome aboard Bill. Enjoy the search. Its way cheaper to look than it is to own so buy carefully. You think buses are expensive --- you ain't seen nothing yet. Sometime when you've got a week off hop a plane to Vancouver & come for a ride.

LMAO,, Bobofthenorth is that you??????? I'm laughing sooooo hard, my eyes are watering. Sold the 1966 Stingray, and as you know, the bus is for sale. Now all I need is a boat. Have a buddy, that put this bug in my ear. So, it will only be half as expensive.....LOL

I don’t know how I forgot the Willard? :confused:Willard did make a 50+ ft trawler which would have the range. As mentioned there was a 58 ft RW in Hawaii that make the crossing from the main land but I think it was sold, You might want to check on as deals do fall through.

With a budget of 90K finding a pleasure boat with the range might be difficult. The freight cost would be lower if less than 40 ft long, less than 12 wide and less than 40,000 lbs. as that is the max that can be shipped on a 40 ft flat rack at a reasonable cost as are container ships. We break down most of our equipment so it can be shipped container which is a lot cheaper than shipping bulk. However, you would have to have the boat secured to the flat rack. So maybe look for a smaller boat?

"What was the best trawler of the 1970, for blue water and long distance?"

Abaking & Rassmusen (SP!) would be one builder, not a TT.

That's funny FF, let me know if you find an A&R under 75 feet much less a "trawler" style boat or one that isn't a classic vintage sailboat.

Since the 70s they have built many of the world's best and biggest yachts in addition to military and pilot vessels. They haven't built a boat less than 75 feet in living memory and those have been specialty craft.

LMAO,, Bobofthenorth is that you??????? I'm laughing sooooo hard, my eyes are watering. Sold the 1966 Stingray, and as you know, the bus is for sale. Now all I need is a boat. Have a buddy, that put this bug in my ear. So, it will only be half as expensive.....LOL

Dunno what's so funny but quit laughing and come for a visit. I'll be back on the boat by the middle of next week.

Bobofthenorth, would love to come visit you. A couple problems with right now. 1) I'm on a 225ft tracking vessel call the "KMRSS Worthy". Google it. We're waiting on a little missile test. Can't really say were we are, but it's in the middle of the Pacific. 2) December I'm going down under for a little vacation, going to spend New Years Eve in Sydney. Don't expect to be on the West Coast until next summer. By then you'll be off in the motorcoach... :)

Bill

Phil Fill, the shipping points you bring up are well taken. I may have to go back to the shipper for additional quotes on a vessel 39x12.

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Phil Fill, the shipping points you bring up are well taken. I may have to go back to the shipper for additional quotes on a vessel 39x12.

Thanks for the input,

Bill

Also in quire about crating/securing the boat. About a month ago I was down at our craters, United Motor Fright, and they where shipping a lot of vehicles and boat over seas. One boat was a 45 ft bayliner which was going to be truck and then lifted into the ships hole and secured. Some of our equipment is to big/heavy so it has to go bulk which is very costly. Also if you have not set destination and/or time limit helps. Alot cheaper going to an port that handles ocean ships than a local dock as the load has to be unloaded from the ocean and then reloaded on to a local.

Boats and Harbors boatsandharbors@citlink.net, is monthly paper that advertizes every thing you would need on a boat, used commercial boats, and most of the prices are cheaper than pleasure prices. Anyway it will give you some idea of the commercial boats and price range. I read/go through the paper each month in detail.

1973 grandbanks 48

i am considering selling mine.
1000g fuel
500g water
150g holding tank
twin 120 lemans 4gph@10kts

why dont you just do the job once and be done with it. just sand her bottom then apply several coats of interlux two part paint designed to prevent blisters and be done with it. I've done this in the past on boats and have never ever had any blisters. My 1990 sea ray 270 has never even had bottom paint applied. She resides in Stockton Ca. at a marina in brakish water.

Back
Top Bottom