300# ice makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Does anyone have any experiance with using a cabinet style icemaker on your vessel? I have two 32 cubic foot ice boxes and I am thinking about plumbing an icemaker to one of them and installing a cold plate. This is what I was thinking about.
0145.jpg

I would place the unit on the roof and build a stainless chute to the icebox. This serves two purposes, one make ice and two I could design my inverter system to handle the ice maker and that should cover everything else when the ice maker is not in use. What say ya'll

You might want to take a look at the Eskimo Ice Maker by Dometic. It is designed to make ice and pump it through a hose into your ice box. You find them a lot on big sportfish boats. Here is a link to the Dometic website Eskimo Ice Fishbox Ice Systems - Dometic

I have a under the cabinet ice maker. Its not a 300 pounder, but it produces more ice than I've ever needed to keep a gigantic cooler of fish cold.

I think it produces 20 lbs a day, which is about 3 large bags, ant it runs on the inverter.

The Eskimo is good at what it does: making slush ice for keeping fish cold - not so good for cold drinks. Eskimos are designed to run continuously once started; they don't lend themselves to making small batches of ice. I can recommend the Raritan Icerette as a stand alone cabinet-style ice cube maker. Not so fond of the Scotsman cubers.

Does anyone have any experiance with using a cabinet style icemaker on your vessel? I have two 32 cubic foot ice boxes and I am thinking about plumbing an icemaker to one of them and installing a cold plate. This is what I was thinking about.
0145.jpg

I would place the unit on the roof and build a stainless chute to the icebox. This serves two purposes, one make ice and two I could design my inverter system to handle the ice maker and that should cover everything else when the ice maker is not in use. What say ya'll

I think the ice would melt enough in the chute to plug it up. Great way to think outside the box though.

Paul if you need a 300# ice maker for your boat parties I'm booking a flight for your next one. That's a lot of scotch :eek::dance:

Craig, my plan was to make a chute that would drop the ice straight down into the ice box. I got the idea when I was at a bulk ice house ($1.75 for 16# bag or bulk) ice station. I'm digging the 300# boat party. I wonder how much scotch you would need:eek: My plan was if I ran the thing a half of a day I would get 150# and that would be enough to handle my three skiffs and lots of bud lights...

If this discussion was on a sail boater site, they'd all be going nuts over the amount of water you're planning to use.

Craig, my plan was to make a chute that would drop the ice straight down into the ice box. I got the idea when I was at a bulk ice house ($1.75 for 16# bag or bulk) ice station. I'm digging the 300# boat party. I wonder how much scotch you would need:eek: My plan was if I ran the thing a half of a day I would get 150# and that would be enough to handle my three skiffs and lots of bud lights...

Unless you are a commercial fisherman there is zero use for a 300 lb/day ice maker.

I don't even know what brand unit I have, but it makes more ice than we need. When it goes out, it will be replaced with a Raritan unit.

If this discussion was on a sail boater site, they'd all be going nuts over the amount of water you're planning to use.
The pictured unit but air cooled requires 25 gallons per 100 lbs of ice. Ksanders, my plan for this vessel is weekend trips to the islands with several groups of friends. My skiffs and any boats that may show up to fish would all require ice. When I fish I buy 50# minumum for small fish (trout, flounder and red fish) Big fish (cobia, snapper and aj's) need at least 150# of ice. What I catch and how many friends that show up are not set in stone but I don't want to run short.

Craig, my plan was to make a chute that would drop the ice straight down into the ice box. I got the idea when I was at a bulk ice house ($1.75 for 16# bag or bulk) ice station...<snip> My plan was if I ran the thing a half of a day I would get 150# and that would be enough to handle my three skiffs and lots of bud lights...

:thumb: Following the logic clearly now. One of my former accounts was a local ice supplier for this part of California. Construct an enclosure that is reasonably weatherproof and well ventilated on the roof and carry on, it should work great. I install units like those in semi weather proof outdoor locations frequently. It is important to service them more often but it's only cleaning filters and coils, not exactly rocket science.

I'm digging the 300# boat party. I wonder how much scotch you would need:eek:

No where near as much as I used to :lol:

I would be concerned with the weight of the icemaker on the roof. Not only structurally, but the effect it might have on the stability of the boat.

And then there's the fact that it would be in direct sunlight much of the time which might impact its ability to make ice or its efficincy.

Where does the other half of the water go?

This brief article explains it better than I can.

Ice Machines

Long and short of it is there is a certain amount of thawing and rinsing involved in making clear "marketable" ice. Which is what commercial units are all about.

I would be concerned with the weight of the icemaker on the roof. Not only structurally, but the effect it might have on the stability of the boat.

And then there's the fact that it would be in direct sunlight much of the time which might impact its ability to make ice or its efficiency.
Ron, I don't think the weight will make any difference on my boat (structurally or geometrically) I would build a housing which would block the direct sunlight, the hotter the unit the less ice it would make.

Craig: I'm thinking on the extra water usage I could plumb that to a holding tank for toilet or wash down usage. Great article by the way, this is why the forum is great. Gets the grey matter working!

Last edited:

Now we're talkin.. I'm on my way
img_109040_0_c92a4a108a4a58111f13da429675d098.gif

Now we're talkin.. I'm on my way
img_109041_0_c92a4a108a4a58111f13da429675d098.gif
I never expected a world of warcraft gif on the trawler forum. Next year it's on like donkey kong if your ever in Mississippi

Ron, I don't think the weight will make any difference on my boat (structurally or geometrically) I would build a housing which would block the direct sunlight, the hotter the unit the less ice it would make.

As long as you've considered those things, go for it.

Craig: I'm thinking on the extra water usage I could plumb that to a holding tank for toilet or wash down usage. Great article by the way, this is why the forum is great. Gets the grey matter working!

As long as you do not allow it to cross connect to your potable system your good to go. I would recommend draining that tank after the weekend or so of use though as the water will develop a bit of a funk if stored longterm. Keep direct rain and heavy consistent splash off of the unit and it will work fine.

You mentioned heat already, the only other real variable for efficiency is incoming water temperature. Intuitively, the cooler the make up water the quicker to harvest cycle.

Back
Top Bottom