Connection has been reset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I recall (a true feat these days) Mark was having problems at one time? Maybe he can shed some light on what the problem was (still is?) and how it got fixed if it ever was.

Have to switch from Yahoo to Firefox when accessing Trawler as well as Cruisers forums. :cry:

You've not had the problem, Peter, because you're in Australia which means internet signals coming to you are upside down. Obviously the code that is included in every internet transmission to the Southern Hemisphere that flips the internet signal rightside up for you is filtering out the "Connection has been reset" (Mac) or "No data" (PC) problem.
pthwpthwpthwpthwpthwpthwpthpth...!!!!!

for the above read blown raspberry......ok, I had to be inventive...

JD wrote:

"The farther North the more the system wants to reset."

Until very recently most all of my posting has been done in Alaska and I don't see any other Alaskan's here w the problem.

Perhaps there is some electronic system in place at Boeing that limits some access to the internet but if that was so we'd not be hearing much from Marin. But guys that don't work at boeing are having the problem too. I've never seen it myself. Incidentally the # of posts dosn't represent the volume Marin puts forth but the # of words does. Marin is a man of many words and not a truer thing could been said. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed w his volume and I lean slightly in that direction myself.

Marin perhaps you should search further at Boeing and see if someone else there has the same problem.

Moderators please don't delete any archives as Marin suggests. And Marin I don't think you have the right to make that call. Those posts collectively belong to all of us and as long as they can be retained mechanically and electronically they should be kept intact.

Please delete all of Marin's posts knocking the Bruce anchor.

JD wrote:

Perhaps there is some electronic system in place at Boeing that limits some access to the internet but if that was so we'd not be hearing much from Marin. ....

Marin perhaps you should search further at Boeing and see if someone else there has the same problem.

Moderators please don't delete any archives as Marin suggests. And Marin I don't think you have the right to make that call. Those posts collectively belong to all of us and as long as they can be retained mechanically and electronically they should be kept intact.

These days I use my iPad to access TF if I'm at Boeing. However our work computers all can access the open internet with no problems. As a test I asked a couple of co-workers to access TF on their computers at the time I was frequently getting the "no data" or "connection reset" messages, and their computers did the same thing. But only TF. Every other URL we access on the work computers works fine.

And I've had the problem in China on my iPad on hotel and airport wifi and on the PCs in the computer stations in the executive lounges that that guests can use. I've had the problem in Charleston on the hotel wifi. Same at Starbucks. I've accessed TF on my wife's Blackberry when I was getting the message a lot earlier this year and the same thing happened there.

So the problem has nothing to do with what kind of computer it is, what search engine is being used, or where on the planet I happen to be.

As to deleting past posts, I'm not advocating doing this for anyone else's posts. Just mine because there are so many of them dating clear back to the first days of the forum. I see no value whatsoever in retaining my posts on the forum any longer than a few weeks at best. I suspect that very few people ever go back and look at them, or frankly, anyone's posts.

I have no idea if the forum code will support this, but it would be great to have a selection in a person's UserCP that allows them to set a duration for how long their own posts are retained. "Forever" could certainly be one of the selections but if I could do this, I'd set mine to three weeks.

Last edited:
I have no idea if the forum code will support this, but it would be great to have a selection in a person's UserCP that allows them to set a duration for how long their own posts are retained. "Forever" could certainly be one of the selections but if I could do this, I'd set mine to three weeks.

No, No, don't do it! Now that I am retired, I finally have the time to read classic massive word compilations like Proust's IN SEARCH OF LOST TIME, Tolstoy's WAR & PEACE and Marin's SCATTERED POSTS (both the trawlerforum.com and grandbanksowners.com editions). Plus, this may help cure my insomnia. :D

Actually, the more I think about this idea the better I like it. While the edit function disappears after an hour or so I bet there's a way to go back through threads and delete posts even without the edit button. I'm going to ask a co-worker's son who's become one of Google's top coders and security programers how to do this.:pirate:

You know... If nothing else, it would save Andy about 50 Terabytes of disc space :whistling:

I am totally against deleting your old posts. There is a lot of good info you have provided. TBH, I don't have an answer to your problem, but my higher intellect (I mean... I AM a moderator afterall :rofl: ) says there's no connection between the two. The web page doesn't load your entire history everytime you visit. At most, it points to a disc sector/data stack where the addresses of your posts resides. And I would perhaps only think when you click on 'See more posts by Marin".

Tom-

I am totally against deleting your old posts. There is a lot of good info you have provided.

In all seriousness, I totally agree.

I don't. I would be willing to bet that almost nobody goes back into the archives to look for discussions on "what kind of boat should I get? or "what kind of anchor should I use?" Far easier to simpy ask the question again because everyone, including me, will chime in with their opinions--- again.

This is not unique to TF. The same thing occurs on the GB owners forum and probably on every other topical forum.

We have a program at Boeing called Lean+. We didn't invent it but we've morphed the basic concept around to fit what we do here. In essence, it's streamlining operations, working smarter and getting rid of waste and unneccessary "stuff." While I know Tom's 50 terrabyte comment was semi in jest it has a lot of truth to it. I know very little about the internet business, but I know that companies make money from hosting sites like this by charging for storage space and probably throughput as well. When you think of the thousands of posts in the archives, along with the thousands of photos, that's a lot of drive space being used as a parking lot the forum owners are paying for that very few people have any interest in visiting.

At Boeing many of our servers are scrubbed quarterly. It's the users' responsibility to pull anything they really need to keep off the server by such-and-such a date because on that date the whole server gets erased. Then the users can put their saved stuff back on until next time.

I would not be at all surprised if the cost of hosting the server would be reduced consideraby by either scubbing the archives periodically or at least removing everything older than a certain interval, say a year.

As it is now, this post, which nobody would ever have any reason to look for or read again, is going to sit in the archives until hell freezes over. It's an inefficient use of server space and it costs money for which there is no worthwhile return.

Last edited:
That may be true, Marin, but the ASCII characters only take up a tiny fraction of the space. Pictures, graphics, and especially videos take up the majority of the space. This page alone, I would venture a guess that 99% of the space needed is NOT text. One avatar takes more space than the text on the entire page.

So getting rid of the archives older than a year would eliminate thousands and thousands of photos, videos, and avatar pictures, right? Sounds like a hell of a lot of drive space eliminated.

Not really. The way I understand it, the GUI interface (where the avatars reside) is not archived. There is basically one copy of your avatar and it accesses it only on a as-needed basis. The only things archived are ASCII files, and pics that have been uploaded. And come to think about it, even the videos don't reside in the archives. Just the link to the YouTube file. But I am not 100% on that one.

I think you are headed down the wrong path with this. I could be wrong, but there has to be another answer. One thing you could try is to open another account. The software will red-flag it for coming from the same IP address so you might have to wait for Janet to approve it, but it should still allow you to open a new account. Then we can see if it's a problem with your account specifically.

Haven't been having the issue for several days now. As I said, it seems to come and go. But when it occurs it occurs frequently no matter where I am or what kind of device I'm accessing the web on. Then it stops and it may be weeks before it occurs again. Very strange since it doesn't seem tied to any type of computer or operating system, any specific search engine, any type of web access, or any particular location.

And while I agree that this issue is unlikely connected to the number of posts, I do think the archives of the forum (and any forum) plays a negligible role and other than a short buffer period could well be eliminated without making any difference to the value of the forum. If it would reduce costs to the forum ownership I'd have no problem with its elimination. If nothing else I would like to see my seven thousand and something posts removed, and if the administration can do it I would request that they do. You could probably design an airplane using the server space they occupy.:):):)

Last edited:
And while I agree that this issue is unlikely connected to the number of posts, I do think the archives of the forum (and any forum) plays a negligible role and other than a short buffer period could well be eliminated without making any difference to the value of the forum. If it would reduce costs to the forum ownership I'd have no problem with its elimination. If nothing else I would like to see my seven thousand and something posts removed, and if the administration can do it I would request that they do. You could probably design an airplane using the server space they occupy.:):):)

I disagree on the role of the archived posts. I consider it basic forum etiquette to search the archives before making early posts. I realize that not everybody does that but I don't think we need to penalize those who do have good manners. I haven't reviewed the TOS but I assume we sign away any intellectual rights to what we post here. In that event the collective wisdom in the archives is the IP of the forum and if it belonged to me I wouldn't be too quick to erase it.

While you do get a little windy at times Marin your posts are usually well thought out and logically presented. Someone looking for specific topics that you have commented on would have a lessened experience if those posts were removed.

Someone looking for specific topics that you have commented on would have a lessened experience if those posts were removed.

I don't agree but it's a matter for the forum owners, not me other than making them aware that I'd be happy seeing all my previous posts deleted if it saves them some money.

Last edited:
Problem is,if you remove some posts,others may no longer make sense (assuming they originally did) because the context in which they were written is gone, and continuity is lost. Removing the posts of just one contributor, especially a major one,could make a thread discordant and unhelpful to anyone coming to it afresh. BruceK

My point is that I suspect very few people actually use the archives other than perhaps trying to find information about a specific product or company. My posts almost never contain that sort of information so I don't believe anything people actually use the archives for will be affected by the presence or absence of my previous posts.

It's no big deal either way. Maybe it's because of what I do but I hate cluttering up storage space with data that's no longer relevant.

It's no big deal either way.

Glad you feel this way. :rolleyes: Let's all let go the idea of deleting your old posts and try and focus on why you keep getting this error. It would be like Bruce said. Threads that would indeed be helpful to people would then become fragmented. There are a LOT of lurkers here that DO use the search function. It would be unfair to them to lose all the info you have provided because you have a hunch there is a problem with it. Hopefully, Andy and/or Janet will push your case up to the folks at the hosting site and the forum software people. We are aware of the problem and are waiting for a reply. Arguing about hypothetical solutions is... well... a waste of the disc space you advocate saving. :eek:

Are you still having this problem with the reset message?

If so... have you noticed if it's happening at any specific time?

Hasn't done it for a few days now. When it does start doing this it is not confined to any particular time of day. And as described, when it starts happening it happens on every computer I use, Mac, PC, or iPad, and on any search engine--- Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Explorer. The location and internet access system is also irrelevant. AT&T 3G, wifi at home and in coffee shops, hotels in the US and China (so far), direct hard link to our network at work, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom