View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
knucklebuster,
Glad you've had good experiences anchoring, that you've learned from us and hope you'll stick around. The fishermen here in SE really like the Forfjord but I prefer the Dreadnought. About 25% of the fishermen have the Dreadnought and all are very old I'm sure and I see most are very rusty. The Dreadnought has it's faithful following too. I wish they sold them now. And they all say alls fine until the winter gales reach 60 knots but judging from all the Forfjords w extended flukes all must not be well lots of the time at least in mud and up in SE there is lots of mud bottoms. I've been in 50 knot winds w gusts to probably 60 w an 18lb anchor and all went well. Had to reset because another boat dragged and that set was successful too. But our boat is only 30' and there was no waves. Everybody's anchoring experience seems different. Some ..... no many have anchored for many years w normal size Claws and CQRs and never had a problem. And lots of things happen in this world that aren't likely. The government dosn't require us to have a certain size and type of anchor so we are responsible for our own safety and I'm sure glad of that. I have two anchors that I'd be comfortable w in a 50 knot blow. And I still don't have what I consider to be the best all-around anchor ... SARCA. Don't know why I should buy one now as I'm well covered w what I've got. One should always carry a spare and I've got plenty for that too.
I'm glad you talked about anchoring at 3-1 scope and thereabouts. Many here think that less than 5-1 is irresponsible and foolish. I'm sure most all are on the east coast. I've anchored in over 75' 4 or 5 times and never had enough scope but lucky me it didn't blow. If it had I'd sure feel better if I knew I had an anchor that could make a reasonably good showing on short scope.

1st pic is the extended fluke ForFjord.
2nd pic is of a good example of a Dreadnought.
3rd pic is of a Navy anchor on a yacht in Craig.

Phil Fill,
I see this Navy anchor has the square shank.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71068 copy.jpg   STH71070 copy.jpg   STH71218 copy.JPG  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote