EPIRB in Action

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
A solo sailor from a dis-masted yacht is on his way to Sydney on a Water Police vessel after a rescue 270 miles off the eastern Australian coast in poor weather conditions. How?
The yacht/sailboat activated its EPIRB. AMSA (Aust. Marine Safety Authority) received the signal via satellite and asked aircraft in the area to assist. An Air Canada B777 located the boat, as did an Air New Zealand A 320. AMSA sent a Search and Rescue Dornier aircraft. A commercial ship was tasked to stand by, protecting the yacht from the worst of the wind and waves. A Water Police boat with offshore capability (probably a Steber) was dispatched from Sydney, successfully rescuing the sailor.
These events demonstrate the effectiveness of an EPIRB. Compulsory here offshore, voluntary in the USA I think, highly recommended, the system works.The co-operation of the airlines, and the ship,are commendable. BruceK

An update. The yachtsman is back onshore. The emergency began when his boat capsized,rolling through 360 degrees to back upright but dismasted. The Air Canada B777, nearing the end of the 14.5 hour flight, with 90 minutes of fuel remaining,descended to 3700ft to locate the yacht. Crew and passengers used binoculars to find it, and made visual (loud cheering onboard), and then VHF contact with the yacht. Well done Air Canada!

Keith, I received a notice of a post you made but it's not in the thread. If you want to use my post, feel free. Chuck

Back
Top Bottom