PassageMaker Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I think Bill Parletore and his wife who started Passagemaker would be more than a bit sad at how things have gone. But that's life. They mad it their life for over ten years, then they had had enough. While they looked after their baby it was good, because of the personal touch, and keeping it relevant to the majority. Now it has tended to go the same way as all other commercial boat mags, so I also last time round let my subscription drop.

Pfft. Passagemaker is for po' folks. "Circumnavigator," now that's where it's at!

Only kiddink. I'm in year one of PMM, seems like a good value for a newbie.

Andrew

Andrew,
I have been buying and subscribed to Passagemaker since day one.
OK it is too commercial and expensive at times but there are still some good articles in it and still a good read.

Any boating magazine that uses the phrase, "tell your captain" is not for me.:nonono:

Is that because you don't have a captain or you don't want to be told?:)

I love to read and of course, reading is a great way to learn things. I read about expensive boats even though I'll never own one. I read about exotic cruise destinations even though I may never go there. PassageMaker does have some equipment and maintenance articles that I can put to use now or in the future.

The yearly subscription cost is less than one dinner out for my wife and me. And unlike dinner, it doen't have to be flushed the next day. ;)

I subscribe to 3 boating magazines including PMM to learn and dream. For the same reasons I also read National Geograhic, Flying, Scientific American, Sports Illustrated, Car and Driver and on and on. Yes, I will never travel to the bottom of the Mariana trench, buy a Bonanza, own a Ferrari, run as fast as Bolt, understand quantum mechanics like Hawking or own a new 63 Nordhavn, but I sure want to know some basics to better understand what makes them all tick.

Is PMM the end all, of course not. But 30 minutes a month is not too much time to waste to learn few more things about one of the activities we all enjoy.

Passagemaker is not for DIY boaters, it is for "check-writers", ergo the phrase, "tell your captain, or your mechanic.

Passagemaker is owned by AIM Marine Group owner of Power and Motoryacht, Sail, Soundings, Yacht International, Boatquest.com and Show Management (Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Palm Beach Boat shows.) In the rapidly diminishing print media business there is at least something for almost all boaters in one of their magazines.
As an advertiser I get complimentary copies of all the boating magazines, Passagemeker is the one I read the most.

Passagemaker is not for DIY boaters, it is for "check-writers", ergo the phrase, "tell your captain, or your mechanic.

Sorry Ralph but I don't agree.

There are a lot of things discussed that a DYI could do.

Now you would have to know the open end from the box end that is true but not all of the items discussed are for the yards only.

I lost interest in PMM years ago but do scan for the occasional good article when I come across a free issue. The only boating magazine that I subscribe to now is Professional Boatbuilder, by far the best rag in the business (my humble opinion). Oh ... forgot to mention .. it's free to those in the marine industry.

It's for anyone who finds the content interesting. If you would read it, you might know what you're talking about. Buy a copy, read it, then report back.

I'm in year one of PMM, seems like a good value for a newbie.

The best is a 10-15 year pile ,

as so few articles are for the inventive/creative owner , rather than the big $$$$$$$ folks with the Greek fisherman hat.

Why would I buy a copy of Passagemaker when all I have to do is walk to a neighboring yacht club and peruse the latest copy in their reading room?

Why would I buy a copy of Passagemaker when all I have to do is walk to a neighboring yacht club and peruse the latest copy in their reading room?

Most of us can't get onto yacht club property without wearing the valet jacket. :lol:

Haven't thought of the Greek fisherman hat trick. Maybe I'll get a pass when wearing one?

No yacht club PMM but just found out that my barber (not hairdresser!!) now has it amongst his other boating, hunting and sports mags!! Finally found a men's barber with men's mags and no women waiting for all those expensive smelly time consuming hair treatments!!

Only if you're wearing a dark blue blazer with a fancy gold crest on the left pocket.

Most likely. I think I'll still have to have the blonde 20ish something model draped off my arm to get by security.

Only if you're wearing a dark blue blazer with a fancy gold crest on the left pocket.

Breton Red pants with blue blazer and rep tie often work.

I used to feel unwelcome when I went to high brow places. I don't know why, but I haven't felt that way for about 4 years now. I don't think I look any different.

cebu.jpg

Breton Red pants with blue blazer and rep tie often work.
:eek:David, you must quickly get away from those ruffians. Any clubs worth their salt requre an Ascot.:socool:

Don:

Ascots are so déclassé.

Any clubs worth their salt require an Ascot.

Our boat yard has loosened the rules , and a jacket with Cummerbun is no longer needed ,,,for light lunch at the outside bar..

I have been in public marinas for years and I will take a yacht club marina every time. Our 385 slip marina belongs to the members, not some uncaring, money grubbin' company. We have 35 full time employees keeping up the property, providing security and running the galley, bar, and dining room (which is open 7 days a week.)
The boats in the marina are required to be kept up and not become eyesores as in public marinas. The beauty part is that the members decide on slip fees, dues and how the club is run.

I have been in public marinas for years and I will take a yacht club marina every time. Our 385 slip marina belongs to the members, not some uncaring, money grubbin' company. We have 35 full time employees keeping up the property, providing security and running the galley, bar, and dining room (which is open 7 days a week.)
The boats in the marina are required to be kept up and not become eyesores as in public marinas. The beauty part is that the members decide on slip fees, dues and how the club is run.

I agree...all except for JOINING the yacht club (in many cases)..:eek:;):rolleyes:;):rolleyes:

A story on Florida cruising in the latest PassageMaker tells of the benefits of belonging to a yacht club. In this case, the other yacht clubs offer the first night's docking for free and discounts on extended stays, fuel, etc.

I would consider joining one if one were available but that doen't mean I actually would join it, just consider it.

I'm not sure I want to be around the kind of people who would accept me as a member! ;)

A story on Florida cruising in the latest PassageMaker tells of the benefits of belonging to a yacht club. In this case, the other yacht clubs offer the first night's docking for free and discounts on extended stays, fuel, etc.

It is the Florida Council of Yacht Clubs. There are 13 or 14 (maybe more now) member clubs. They all agree to hold a limited number of transit slips for all member clubs with the first night free. Pools, tennis courts, dining rooms, and tiki bars are all available. Charges go back to the home club for billing. Many have bikes available, free newspapers, and morning coffee.

When we were on the West Coast we were members of the Bradenton YC. The main benefit was cooperation all around Florida including the Keys of the Yacht Clubs. We have been in South Carolina and on the East Coast, and are not doing much of that type cruising, but there is much to be said for it. So, we dropped our membership. For those that like group cruises, the clubs had cruises line up year around. We mostly cruise solo.

I think the Loggerhead group of marinas have a similar deal for their clients. Not exactly sure how that works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom