View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
fryedaze
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Improved refigerator performance

The Tundra T 80 frig setup on our boat did not keep the items in the crisper drawer cold. This was due to the compressor unit directly behind it and inadequate ventillation of the enclosure. The temperatures behind the frig were 145F. My fix was to install a 5.5 inch, 65 CFM, .16amp computer fan. The fan has dropped the cabinent temps to 10 degrees above ambient. It is set up to run when the condensor fan runs. The condensor fan has a .5amp shutoff curcuit, so it was important to have a low amp fan.
During my investigation I learned that my compressor has multiple speeds that can be manually set. Its a Danfoss. I also adjusted the speed of the compressor speed to 3000 rpm. Without the new fan this adjustment dropped my freezer tenp from minus 5 to minus 14F. My frig was running almost continuously before this adjustment.
Prior to these changes the best my frig would do was 39F in the top of the frig. After the changes with the fan and the compressor I found the frig at 22F in less than a days operation. Of coarse this required me to make thermostat adjustment. Prior to this it was set at the highest setting and can all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3993.jpg   SDC11802.jpg   SDC11803.jpg  
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote