Helm port or starboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both wheelhouse and aft station to port. This was the "working side" when operating as a commercial vessel. The hull is heavily reinforced on the port side where the pot hauler used to be. Reverse prop walk is to port also which makes for easy reversing into the berth using the aft station.

Attachments

• Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 105
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 95
I have a Starboard/Port Switch button inside that makes it easy to dock either side. Grandson just loves it..

Granddaughters on the other hand like things a little more central.

Attachments

• Ethan starboard side.jpg
    Ethan starboard side.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Ethan port side.jpg
    Ethan port side.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-08-10 11.47.02.jpg
    2012-08-10 11.47.02.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 90
Most boats will set up so the helm is on the same side as the prop walk causes the boat to be docked.

Yes! If not, the boat's designer was off the mark.

My helm is to starboard.

FWIW, to which direction a single screw boat backs is based on whether the propeller is left or right hand.

I thought it all had to do with which direction the sink drains. ;)

I don't know about days of yore, but most modern engine/transmission setups can be spec'd for left or right handed props.

Krogen 42... centerline upstairs and down.

Not that it matters, but all Nordic Tugs are Stdb. helm.

So is my truck, a HJ61 LandCruiser

C&L 44
Stb main helm
Centerline flybridge
Dinghy slightly to Stb.
laser either side (depends which tack you are on)
All cars to port.

Pilot House - central
F/B - port

We were always used to stbd untill we bought the Fleming. Only took a few days practice before we had no probs with the F/B port operation.

As with many TTs, our Formosa bridge wheel is centerline and lower is starboard (hydraulic steering). We have side deck doors both P & S (as well as aft) and bulwark doors P & S as well as a transom door so docking and access is good from either side.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 101
Both upper and lower stations are to starboard. On my previous boat (Uniflite 31, like you Art!) we had lower to port and flybridge to center. I agree that it doesn't really matter which side the helm is on to me, my gripe is that the preferred entry door is to port (not blocked by the helm station), so I essentially have to dock on my blind side when side tying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom